Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOS - Complete Meltdown

• Please log in to reply

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just had a complete failure on a second PC, frantic and looking for help.

Basic system info (custom):

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB
P4 2.6Ghz
1.5GB PC-2700 RAM
RADEON 9600XT VGA
Maxtor 120GB HD
Windows XP Home - SP2

Was runnng a frequently used program earlier (game). Monitor turned off to power saving mode and would not return to display. Had to do a hard shutdown.

When I turn PC on, it appears to be powering up as normal, however the monitor remains in power saving mode, and a robotic voice continually repeats the message "SYSTEM FAIL - SEEK INFO" on my speakers (peripheral speakers, not the onboard one). Cannot view anything, enter BIOS, safe mode... nothing but the message repeating.

Nothing has been changed recently on this machine. It was running normally as it always has. I've never once had an issue with this machine until now, and I built it about a year ago.

Please help if you have any info or ideas, I badly need that machine up and running.

Edited by SomeGuy05, 08 August 2005 - 02:05 AM.

Advertisements

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
/bump

Still looking for the root of the problem here.

I've never heard of a PC giving a verbal error message as described above, and net searches have yielded no results.

The RAM checks out ok, and the same thing occurs as described above even with the HD, floppy, and 5.25 drives disconnected. I guess the root is on the board or the chip (or perhaps the VGA?)...

This is a really bizarre problem. I've never heard of anything like this.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
any beps when you boot

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

any beps when you boot

View Post

No, nothing. It's not booting up. I think the VGA can be ruled out now, as well as the chip (possibly). I've been tampering with the rig a bit more. This odd robotic-voice error message through the peripheral speakers has to be an ASUS design, although I can find no documentation online or off about their products having a peripheral voice-error, or obviously what they mean. If I power on with the chip removed, I still get the "System Fail - Seek Info" message (at least that's what it sounds like); However, it adds the message "No CPU Installed" to the voice loop along with the message above. I guess I'm going to have to call ASUS when they open the tech support lines for the day and ask them about the voice-errors and what they mean.

I really hope the board hasn't bought the farm, but unfortunately that may be. The entire rig has been 100% rock solid since I built it. The only issue I've had recently is a slightly faulty PSU exhaust fan, but I monitored all hardware temperatures and they were well within safe operating range, and the PSU wattage is more than sufficient for my setup.

If anyone uses ASUS and is familiar with these voice-error messages, I'd like to hear what you know of them.

I'll also post what I find out from ASUS when I call them, in case the information can be usefull to others either currently or in the future. As for now I guess there's nothing else I can do but wait... :tazz:

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I called ASUS, and they told me the error message meant one of three things:

A) The power supply is bad.
B) The CPU is bad.
C) The BIOS chip is bad, and must be sent to ASUS to be reprogrammed.

I replaced the power supply today. Still having the exact same issues, so A) can be excluded.

So how can I "test" my CPU to see if it's working or not?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to swap it out im afraid. It does sound like the board the power supply when it was running iffy might have damaged it. If you take it to a shop they will probably be able to swap out the cpu for you and would cost less tha a "house call"

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sounds like the CPU is bad... how old is the system (from time of purchase)?

-Matt