Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i whole smatter of problems...

• Please log in to reply

pathogenesis

pathogenesis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
alright...i keep getting this microsoft visual C++ library error...causing 'abnormal program termination' when i run counterstrike, battlefield, or any program that involves graphics
this was a month ago...and i didnt really bother to fix it because they're just games...but then occasionally my screen flickers (turns black) for a few seconds and turns back on. It stablizes after a while, but i have noticed that it takes much longer to start up now. I have tried running runtifix.exe, and it asks me if i want to overwrite newer version files with older ones, which i didnt do because i dont know what the repercussions might be. At this point, i formatted my harddrive.

my dad has another hard drive on this computer, which works fine. I didnt want to go through the trouble of reinstalling windows and everything, so i used Norton Ghost and copied his entire system onto my harddrive. The same problems are still here...including the screen flickering. I've made sure the Ghost clone was done correctly...making sure my partitions were bigger than the ones i was copying from.
Could it be hardware? I've basically reconstructed another system onto my harddrive (windows 2000 professional by the way) and all the same problems are still here, even after the format. Could it be hardware problems?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start->Run.
Type dxdiag. Press Enter.
Go through all the tabs of the DirectX Diagnosis tool and look for problems.

pathogenesis

pathogenesis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i went thru dxdaig and checked it...it says 'no problems found' under every tab. However, i tried wintifix again, and even though i didnt replace any files, windows did a check of my .dlls at bootup

it turns out that winlogon.exe is 'corrupt and unreadable', and told me to use chkdsk

i did that as well...and all it says is that there are errors found, and CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You need to type in chkdsk /f
Windows will probably grumble and ask you to run it at next start up... just say yes.

pathogenesis

pathogenesis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thx for your help...i did that...and ran chkdsk at startup...and lo and behold...a file called oleacc.exe was corrupted...and i guess it was fixed..(i ran chkdsk again just to make sure)

and i thought everything was fine...so i tested the games again...and this time i get a BSoD...
and not any normal BSoD where the entire screen goes blue...only the bottom half of the screen goes blue...as if the BSoD was scrolled down halfway...and the words are kinda warped too
it says something bout pages not being where they're supposed to be...

well...before i tried all this my screen used to flicker...and the computer just turns off without warning...at least im getting proper BSoDs now...thats an improvement right?
...my computer hates me.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good to keep your humor! :tazz: I normally don't post when someone else is helping. But thought I would give you the chkdsk /f direction since it was quick. If darth_ash doesn't get back to you soon, I'll post back. Please be patient as he is a busy guy! Thanks

makai

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u tell the BSoD error code?
Also, can u try another video-card(temporarily) on ur system and run those games.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
ghosting a HD from another computer to yours is wrong just as it is wrong to physically move the other disk into your computer. During installation the operating system installs itself taking into consideration the hardware specs of the computer. If you take the disk out and install it into another computer you can surely expect troubles.

I think that you should reinstall windows into your computer. if you don't want to format the disk (which I would recommend under the present situation) than at least make a repair installation. If the problems persist afterward than we can continue from this point.

pathogenesis

pathogenesis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its kind of hard to see what the BSoD error code is...because its moved down and shifted to the right...so the code is cut off by the edge of the screen (it wraps around onto the other side) however i can make out kmode_ something :tazz:

i guess i will take your advice and do a clean install...but ghosting has never failed me before...(when done correctly) however it does occasionally cause errors with antivirus and firewall programs

if problems persist...i will ask again...thx for all your help guys

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Is mostly cause due to faulty hardware or faulty drivers.
Re-install\Update all ur drivers, so see if the problem continues.