Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen crash (page_fault_in_nonpaged_area)

• Please log in to reply

chunkmcfunk

chunkmcfunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

i recently installed a new system.

P4 prescott 3.2ghz

gig ddr ram

gigabyte motherboard.

the sytem keeps crashing on windows XP, even after reinstalls, checks etc.. its a completely bare system so no issues with any anti virus software etc..

At first i thought it was heat, so i bought a new beat of a heatsink and fan. The bios says the chips temp is average 58 degrees. I cant seem to get it any cooler than that even with three case fans! and a good amount of good quality arctic silver.

so is this a normal temp as it doesnt feel that hot inside the case? could this crash my system?

or as it keeps crashing toa blue screen (randomly, sometimes on restart, at other times it can run for a few hours befiore crashing) it says page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

after looking on the web, RAM also seems to be a possiblity?

can anyone advise if they have had similar issues please as I dont know where to start with regards to taking bits back and whether it could be software etc?

MANY THANKS IS ADVANCE!!!

Advertisements

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
what bios are you using? do you hear any beeps during startup? if so what are the combinations (short-long-short)?

let me see if i read this right, you build a new system from scratch and installed windows xp (xp installed fine no errors?) but whenever your os loads it goes blue or reboots, right?

what is the KW for the power supply that you are using?
did you try running it in safe mode to see if the problem persists?
is the insall of windows a fresh install on a formated hard drive?

if you changed the hardware (motherboard) and are using a hard drive that already had windows installed you will need to reinstall windows completely.

Edited by Stasiek, 08 August 2005 - 03:14 AM.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might have used to much thermal material you are only supposed to use a small amount.

chunkmcfunk

chunkmcfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi, thanks for comments so far.

the power supply is a brand new 450watt.

ill have to check on the bios? but help on checking it would be appreciated?

there are no beeps during bootup, just the single one when the pc is first powered on.

XP was installed on a formatted SATA drive. the installation was fine, as i said, sometimes the machine will run for a few hours, (playing games etc) before it crashes.

I reinstalled last night to make it a bare machine and it still chrashed on XP after an hour or so. I then restarted the machine and it crashed straight away.

the amount of heatsink is fine. i only put a small amount on.

ive not run it in safe mode yet so ill try that tonight.

its just strange that it can run for hours with no problems and then it crashes to the blue screen. and after that it will jsut keep crashing.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
It can be different things. I would start ruling out what it is not which includes the RAM and HD. Also are you overclocking anything?

chunkmcfunk

chunkmcfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I'm not overclocking anything.

Ive just replaced the RAM at the shop but when they tested my old ram it it didnt show any errors, so im not very confident about the new stuff working but ill swap it anyway.

i asked the shop and they said 58 degrees temp for the prescot chip is fine.

If its not the RAM thats causing this what do people think?

im just interested if any body else ahs ahd this problems and have foudn it to be a software issue? or is it always a hardware issue.

Also with my new ram, do people reccomend reinstalling xp first or just popping it in and testing my existing installation?

thanks again for all your comments!!

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I never said to swap, I said to run a diagnostic on it. Bluescreen STOP errors can be caused by so many different things, defective memory is one of the more common.

I've seen these issue be:

Defective Memory
Defective Harddrive
Defective CPU
Defective Mainboard
Defective or underrated Power Supply
Overclocking
Overheating
Misconfigured hardware
Malware (mainly viruses)
Driver Issue
Other Software issues ect....