Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

html source code

• Please log in to reply

hogun

hogun

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear All,

Does anyone knows how to hide html source code of my pages so that nobody can see it ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Tanthred
[email protected]

Advertisements

fleming

fleming

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You can't. At least not that I am aware of.

Every browser has the ability to see source code (HTML) but not server side code (PHP CF)

As some people's advice is, if you do not want people to see it, do not publish it on the web, obviously that holds true, but it is just stupid.

Are you that worried that your work will be copied? I would think that a large portion of the web is plagerized (sp?) so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also it's a good learning tool for newbies, they look at a site and wonder how they can do that, and if they steal your code then so be it.

Now if you are hiding your HTML/source because of pictures or SWF files, I am sure there are ways around "hiding" it or making sure users can't steal it. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way.

Fleming

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can encrypt your code, but anyone who knows about such things would have little difficulty decrypting it. It would only stop people who had a casual interest in it. There is very little copywriteable or special about HTML coding. If you're trying to stop people from linking directly to your files encrypting may not be a bad idea.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
this is a similar topic

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
if you need help protecting pictures or swf files let me know

hogun

hogun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You can't. At least not that I am aware of.

Every browser has the ability to see source code (HTML) but not server side code (PHP CF)

As some people's advice is, if you do not want people to see it, do not publish it on the web, obviously that holds true, but it is just stupid.

Are you that worried that your work will be copied? I would think that a large portion of the web is plagerized (sp?) so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also it's a good learning tool for newbies, they look at a site and wonder how they can do that, and if they steal your code then so be it.

Now if you are hiding your HTML/source because of pictures or SWF files, I am sure there are ways around "hiding" it or making sure users can't steal it. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way.

Fleming

View Post

Fleming,

Thanks for the reply. I am not so concern about my code, I was just curious about how to achieve such a trick. I came accross some websites which forbid you to see their code. I also noticed that the trick works with IE but not always with Firefox...
So I just wanted to understand how to do it as I could not understand how to hide something that the browser needs to read in order to "create" a webpage ?...
I guess they use encryption.

Thanks again

hogun

hogun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

if you need help protecting pictures or swf files let me know

View Post

ssone,

I would effectively be interested in protecting pictures or swf files although I am fully aware that once broadcasted on the web no data can be totaly protected.
Thank you for the offer !

hogun

hogun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

this is a similar topic

View Post

Thanks for the reply, I had a look at that topic and it did answer to some of my questions.

hogun

hogun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You can encrypt your code, but anyone who knows about such things would have little difficulty decrypting it. It would only stop people who had a casual interest in it. There is very little copywriteable or special about HTML coding. If you're trying to stop people from linking directly to your files encrypting may not be a bad idea.

View Post

Thanks for the reply, if it's so easy to decrypt then there is no need ot buy such programs... But your point is interesting, I did not think about the problem of people linking directly to my files !
Thanks again.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Dear All,

Does anyone knows how to hide html source code of my pages so that nobody can see it ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Tanthred
[email protected]

View Post

You will need a RIGHT clcik block on you site,,, I love that code lol