Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts Help

• Please log in to reply

kamikazejustin

kamikazejustin

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer randomly restarts every once and awhile while I'm using it. It doesnt seem to do it when its left on all night. Its a custom built PC by me. The restart doesn't go through a normal shutdown process but it goes through a complete boot-up process. I get no error messages of any kind. This all just started happening like 2 nights ago.

Specs are
AMD 3200+
Soltek K989-pro board
1 gig corsair value select PC3200
MSI 6600GT 128mb vid card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS platinum
450 watt PS that came with case (random brand)
80 BG IDE drive (running OS)
200 GB SATA (storage)
80GB SATA (storage)

Thanks if you guys have any ideas. I'm downloading memtest right now to check on my ram.

Advertisements

kamikazejustin

kamikazejustin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well memtest went through 6 passes and no errors. I have since turned off automatic restart for system failure so when i get a BSOD i will post the error message. If not the memory my next thought is the HD

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you checked your temps?

kamikazejustin

kamikazejustin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well if my cpu is overheating i get a warning buzzer...built into the bios, so that hasnt happened. As far as the ram, vpu, or HD overheating im not sure

kamikazejustin

kamikazejustin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well PC wizard 2005 is listing my power/aux temperature at 96 C which seems high but under normal use everything seems fine. And I play games alot such as HL2 and WOW nad it doesnt crash during those which woudl be the most strenuous activity my PC sees...

wildrex

wildrex

• Pip
  • 6 posts
could be power supply overheating thats common problem with random reboots