Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faulty memory?

• Please log in to reply

Bucket Mouse

Bucket Mouse

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This has been going on since last Saturday and I think it's two different problems that combined to one bigass whammie. :tazz:

First of all, my browser (IE 6.0) will sometimes crash when viewing a website with Flash, giving a Flash.ocx error with the Flash plugin. I've been searching online for this and it seems like Microsoft and Macromedia have heard about it and are "currently searching for a solution." I believe I have the latest version of Flash installed.

It gets worse from there. It started taking a few tries to boot up, eventually it would boot up to just a screen with the Windows XP logo and the blue bars on top and bottom (that's basically the screen where you'd choose your user account.)Eventually we took the hard drive down to a store where they informed us that it was unreadable, so I had to buy ANOTHER one and buy a whole new copy of Windows XP. We finally got the thing up and running, BUT...

I've also had trouble installing programs. For instance, I have only been able to install two programs (AOL Instant Messenger and Semagic, a LiveJournal updater tool) since I reinstalled the hard drive. Everything I've tried to install either crashes during the install, is a corrupt download, or (worse) restarts the computer. (I'm also having a problem installing Office 2003--it says my key is invalid even though I've only installed it on one machine since I got it.) My friend gave me a bootable memory test and it looks like faulty RAM might be the culprit, because there's nothing more wonderful than waking up in the morning, running a test and seeing over 17,000 errors on your 512 MB RAM. ;)

Does it look like I'm going to have to replace my RAM? And what about the Flash problem? Anyone have issues on that?

Specs of Arale (my computer:)

Prefab manufactured by Northgate (now out of business) and purchased at Staples in 2004
Running Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Pentium 4 2.50 GHz
512 MB DDR-SD RAM (which might just be the culprit)
160 GB hard drive
Motherboard: Foxconn SiS-650 (Phoenix Technologies, LTD)

Edited by Bucket Mouse, 08 August 2005 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

First of all, my browser (IE 6.0) will sometimes crash when viewing a website with Flash

You have a link to the site that causes this?

Eventually we took the hard drive down to a store where they informed us that it was unreadable, so I had to buy ANOTHER one and buy a whole new copy of Windows XP. We finally got the thing up and running, BUT...

Now why would you have to purchase a new copy of XP? This is the same computer, right?

My friend gave me a bootable memory test and it looks like faulty RAM might be the culprit, because there's nothing more wonderful than waking up in the morning, running a test and seeing over 17,000 errors on your 512 MB RAM.

Not good!

Does it look like I'm going to have to replace my RAM?

More than likely... yup!

Edited by makai, 08 August 2005 - 06:13 PM.

Bucket Mouse

Bucket Mouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Installed new RAM and everything's all right now. BTW, my compy was a prefab that came with a recovery disk, and NOT the original WinXP disk. My friend was peeved.

The Flash crashes came at weird times though, and I thought that maybe that might've had something to do with the memory too. Like once this afternoon, I was viewing a flash video and it crashed DURING it.

Everything's OK here, nothing to see folks, nothing to see :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
okee-dokee! Take care!