Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP refuses to boot

• Please log in to reply

PFX_79

PFX_79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer froze on me, locked up 7 ways to sunday. No amount of Ctrl+Alt-Del'ing and Ctrl-Esc'ing would bring out. So I resorted to the good ole reset button. Evrything seemed normal as it went through post and booted as it should, found all the drives\memory etc.. however when it came time for winXP to do it's thing, everything went down hill from there. Where it should show XP loading (screen with the loading bar) I get Zip. A blank screen. I tried booting from the cd and get the same thing after it checks the systems hardware. I tried reloading to a previous working version. Zip. Tried safe mode, zilch. Tried changing out all the parts I could, to see if something had gone bad, still got the same results. So... ;) ...please before this happens... :tazz:

Comp specs as follows.

660Watt PSU
MSI K8t Neo FSR Ath64 2800+ wPIB hsf
1 PNY 512mb PC2700
XFX GF 6600GT 128mb AGP
SB LIVE! 5.1 Dig. OEM
1 Maxtor 40gb 7200
1 Fujistu 10gb 5400
1 Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW
1 Sony 16x DVD
USB 2.0 US Robotics 56k modem

Edited by PFX_79, 08 August 2005 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Have you tried running a XP Repair on it??

Murray

PFX_79

PFX_79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I tried to do that, however as I mentioned before... after the point where it checks the Systems hardware config, I get the same thing. Im suspecting a memory issue but hoping im wrong, just dont have the money right now to replace it if it is the Memory... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try running this http://www.memtest86.com/ test one stick of ram at a time

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
try to disconnect from the mother board all non-essential peripherals (modem, floppy, secondary HD, cd, burner etc.) and try to restart. If it works then you have to reinstall component one by one, restart and see which failed. This will give you a partial hardware test. My understanding is that you already tried installing another version of windows. If i am wrong, then I would certainly try reinstallation.

PFX_79

PFX_79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wont work unless it works in DOS aswell as windows, given windows wont even boot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that memtest program can be made into a bootable floppy

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
As for memory test, try to remove the modules and install them in another computer. If they work than this is not your problem.

The fact that comonents pass post test does not necessarilly mean that they will work under windows. It seems that the system collapses when windows starts loading up its program modules and drivers. This could indicate to hardware problem. I suggested disconnecting non essential components to make sure that these hardware pieces are not involved with the problem. If after this and after memory test the problem persist, then it can be any part of the system that is faulty (cpu. motherboard etc.)

PFX_79

PFX_79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont have another sys I can test it in, the only other comp i've got here uses SDRAM and the mem in my comp is DDR. Running the memtest prog right now. How long does it generally take it to do it's thing?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as you feel like running it (the longer you let it run the better results you get) i would let it run an hour for each stick just to be safe

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I dont have another sys I can test it in

If the memtest shows no problems, but you still think memory could be the problem, then you could also try to buy a new stick from a store with a full refund return policy.

just dont have the money right now to replace it if it is the Memory...

Not such a bad price for a Kingston. Just throwing it out there...

Also, have you put in any new hardware recently? Windows tends to do something like this when you install new graphics card incorrectly.

Edited by UV_Power, 08 August 2005 - 04:14 PM.