Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it worth updating my graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

villa0808

villa0808

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I need some help first, determining if it's worth upgrading my computers grapic card and second if it is what can I get and/or what are my best bets for not a lot of dollars?

Here are my specs:
Pentium 4 @ 2.0ghz
128MB DDR SDRAM @ 266MHZ
32MB ATI Rage Ultra 4xAGP
20GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well what do you intend to do with the better gfx card. Some more ram would be a good investment as well. And it depends on your budget entirely although with with a agp 4x slot i wouldnt get higher than a fx 5 series or ati 9xxx series card.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hey man, if you can find out the serial of your mobo (or even better what speed the slot supports) i can give you a good idea of whats best. For a pentium 4 2ghz, it almost definetly has an 8x slot.

Definetly go for a G-force card whatever the case.

villa0808

villa0808

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought an LCD Monitor and just want to know I'm getting the best picutre I can out of it. I don't use my computer for gamming.
Sorry, for sounding stupid but please explain what a fx 5 series or ati 9xxx series card means. I still trying to learn all the lingo.
How would I find out the serial of my mobo and/or the speed, again stupid question, I know. When looking at the specs I pulled from the Dell web site it lists band width max as 32 bits. Is this what you need?

Oh, and adding more memory is something I was planning on soon.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As long as it is running with 32 bit colour and at the max res the lcd supports( tells you in display properties) then i would say it is getting the most out of it if you dont play games. Fx 5 serries and 9xxx where a generation of series of graphics cards pretty low level entry jobs not that great for hardcore gamers but more than sufficient for most people with older agp computers.

villa0808

villa0808

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. So does that mean to upgrade would not be worth it? Or is it even an option? My biggest concern is that my computer is too old to be upgraded. In researching graphic cards on line I had a hard time finding any that were 32 bit and had a dvi connection. I didn't want to go out and buy one just to find out my computer wasn't compatible.