Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reboots at LOG IN SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

Cutter

Cutter

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok Folks,
I am lost on this one. I just put this machine together(nothing big, P4 machine with a Gigabyte mobo, 2.8 CPU, 2 500 MB sticks of Kingston RAM, integrated sound, vga, nic....XP PRO and downloaded SP2 and updates.

Boot the machine up and maybe every 3rd time or so, when it gets to the LOG IN SCREEN, it just reboots.

Sometimes upon the reboot, all works fine. Other times I get the "recovered from a serious error pop-up, and I can view the details about the error, but I have no idea what they mean.

I have ran MEMTEST as well as MICROSOFT's memory tester, and get no errors there.

I have also swapped out the power supply. Still doing the same thing.

Much appreciation to all who might have any ideas, because I am lost!

....Cutter

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The error details might give us a clue. The next time it happens, write the error down and post it.

Johanna

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ErrorExxample.jpg

The error details might give us a clue.  The next time it happens, write the error down and post it. 

Johanna

View Post

Will this work???

and thanks for looking....

...Cutter

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
module_1.JPG Well, I might have been too fast thinking it was not RAM or a RAM issue...

I just got the latest version of MEMTEST86+ and ran it, and after 5 passes it came up with a screen full of errors, so I took one of the modules out and ran it again and got 5 errors after 2 passes.

I do not know what those errors mean, but if anyone else here might have an idea, I am uploading a picture of the screen.

Then I guess I need to know if RAM would cause random reboots like I described...

Thanks again for anyone's help here!

....Cutter

Edited by Cutter, 08 August 2005 - 03:39 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ur RAM stick is damaged.
It will need replacement.
To find out which is the faulty one, insert only one stick at a time and run memtest86+, see which gives errors.

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ur RAM stick is damaged.
It will need replacement.
To find out which is the faulty one, insert only one stick at a time and run memtest86+, see which gives errors.

View Post

Hello, and thanks!

Here is what has got me confused, and maybe it is just because I do not really understand all there is to know about ram and the different ways it can go bad.

As I was running MEMTEST86+ earlier to pin down which stick it was, I got those 5 errors on one of them after the 2nd pass with memtest...

Just so I could watch it again, I re-ran the test, and again it caught it on the 2nd pass.

For grins, I put that stick in another machine, and could not make it crash, freeze, random reboot, not so much as a glitch, so then I put it back in the machine that is having problems and ran memtest again, and it has been going for almost 5 hours with no errors showing up on memtest86 at all...

Is this something anyone has herd or seen before? I am just trying to learn a bit more at this point and get a better understanding on this issue, as I already have new RAM on it's way here.

Again, thanks for the help I am getting here!
.....Cutter

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, been a few days now and I am as lost as ever!

Replaced the RAM, ran chkdsk, replaced my IDE cables even!

I turned off the auto-reboot, so now I can acually see the BSOD's

I made sure all my drivers are the latest, as well as the latest BIOS.

Still doing the same thing, only like I said insted of re-booting, it stops at the BSOD.

I have attached a couple pics bsod001.jpg bsod002.jpg of my pretty BLUE SCREENS in case someone would like to join in the fun....Anyone???

Thanks again people
...Cutter

Edited by Cutter, 11 August 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I also saw another thread HERE about certain CRITICAL PATCHES from MICROSOFT causing simular problems...Does anyone think it's worth the time to manually uninstall them as per MURRY's instructions?...Opinions?

thanks....
...Cutter