Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc shuts down when HD trys to boot up

• Please log in to reply

ndvis89

ndvis89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer will boot up to a screen where it ask's if i want to boot in safe mode, last known good configuration, start windows normally. When i select one of these the hard drive starts to boot windows then the computer just restarts. I have everything disconected but the motherboard , cpu , and hard drive. I tryed different hard drives to still does same thing.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats your power supply size, and whats the computer temps you can find them in bios. And system specs will be needed.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
i got these alot in the shop. what handles graphics for your computer? (integrated, AGP, PCI or PCI-E). WindowsXP has a habit of dying when the graphics are altered or changed. Any data you had on the hdd should be fine however so thats not a worry.

ndvis89

ndvis89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Power Size - 400 w
AGP slot - radeon 9600
CPU - Pentium 4 2.8 ht
Cpu is running 78 degrees

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm...cpu seems a bit hot to me, my athlon 3200 runs at 48 degrees centigrade.

If your cut out temp is 80, your CPU will probobly die as soon as it starts any serious work. I would suggest a better cooling system, that could mean adding a system fan, getting a higher grade cpu cooler or a larger case (once i had a case too small, it disrupted the cooling.)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What the... STOP dont use that pc until it is fixed. 78 degrees, thats weight too hot dangerously so the cpu should never exceed 60 degrees under full load. Thats the general rule any higher than 65 and its serious probs the cpu will be shutting down to prevent damage at those temps.
Is this a new pc old pc build yourself bought built by a friend. You need to remove that hsf clean it off with cleaner or alcohol and then reapply thermal material and put it back on. How many fans have you got and what is your case temp.

ndvis89

ndvis89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well the case is open right now and theres 3 fans and a retail cpu fan. It was built

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
farking [bleep]. what fan is on the cpu? whatever it is, you need a biggerr, faster one, and possibly a change of case and environment. what i mean is, if its on a carpet, try and move it to a wooden or metallic surface, move it away from any radiators and give it room at the back to breath, but if its a small case make sure the airflow to the CPU fan isnt obstructed by anythin.