Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Professional SP3 boot.ini invalid

• Please log in to reply

tammyv

tammyv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I've installed windows 2000 professional with SP 3, completed my updates from microsoft and installed all my software. My tray on the bottom right hand side was taking forever to load. I went to googles and downloaded a msconfig that could be used with windows 2000, well ever since then, my pc when it boots up, it says that the boot.ini is invalid, then it wants to go through the the comparing and fixing problems (like what you see if your system shuts down without going through the shut down process), when 2000 finally loads it does not keep my desktop I have to press the button to restore.

my questions,

1. Anyway, I can get this fixed without having to back my system up and starting over?
2. Once I do get it set up, how can I eleminate some of the icons that are in my task bar next to my timer? It takes for ever for these guys to load in.

Thank you in advance.

tammy

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Win2k can use the msconfig supplied with WinXP. If you know someone with an XP machine, I would copy their msconfig app instead of downloading from the web.

when 2000 finally loads it does not keep my desktop I have to press the button to restore.

What button are you using to "restore" your desktop?

1. Anyway, I can get this fixed without having to back my system up and starting over?

Hopefully not, but that may be a possibility. And, it actually might be a good idea rather than trying to fix a bad install.

2. Once I do get it set up, how can I eleminate some of the icons that are in my task bar next to my timer? It takes for ever for these guys to load in.

You can either use a copied msconfig, or if you're registry-wise, you can go to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Run and delete some start programs there... if you know which to delete... or you can simply download this. This Startup program is much less destructive than editing the registry and you simply uncheck what you don't want starting up.

makai

tammyv

tammyv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply, I'm currently having to reformat and reinstall everything on the PC.

Last night when I turned the PC back on it would not do anything. So I shut it down and went to bed!

I was able to get a back up of the data before it crashed so I should not be too inconvienced.

Thanks for the links too. I'll take a look at them when I get the PC up and running sometime today.

Tammy