Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY NETWORK CONNECTION TURNS ON AND OFF LIKE MAD!

• Please log in to reply

catsjam

catsjam

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What the [bleep] is going on???

3 Bad things are happening to my computer...

1. My computer is rebooting (COLD with no shut down sequence) at random.

2. It will be just fine then BAM! My network connection icon flutters on and off and on and off again like the wings of a ladybug...

3. When #2 happens- I loose controll of my whole system it gets so laggy. I can make it stop trying to automatically connect to the internet, but that doesn't stop the network connection from thinking im unplugging it every 2 seconds.

If I were to answer my own post 3rd person I'd say "Your computer is probably overheating" for number 1. I dont think its that because I'm using watercooling and I'm actually underclocking my CPU because I have too with this cheap motherboard.

THen its your cheap motherboard- Well it could be, but its hard to tell, since it IS random. Its a PC chips motherboard and I can't get it to recognize my duron 1800. The FSB on this thing won't go up to or past 133 Megahertz. Is this chip supposed to be 133 by default? If so why would underclocking it at 120 or 100 be soo bad?

2 and 3 I have no Idea what is going on other than that I'm pretty [bleep] shure its not my ISP making this happen.

NOTE: my system seems to be 99% clean of viruses and spyware. I say 99% becouse I still have a few ? mark programs that seem to find their way to my 'start' up list. They are unchecked of course. Registry Mechanic says 0 errors, Registry fix says 0 errors. Spyware doctor says nothings wrong. Avast says my system is clean. I had to quaranteen a file called Up2dat5.exe using the program 'System Task Manager,' since non of the other programs could get rid of it.

Please give me some Ideas- people!!!!!

A-Bomb

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Catsjam

Welcome to geeks to go

Up2dat5.exe a variant of the SDBOT WORM! I'll guess that you have other malware on the computer as well. :)

Malware can cause all of the symptoms you are experiencing.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

Especially try the panda active scan and the ewido suite

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs. :tazz:

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

If the malware folks give you a clean bill of health, post that new information back here or in the system building forum.

Best regards and good luck

EMCguy