Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple accounts wont load and cant delete

• Please log in to reply

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Alright here it goes, im trying to fix a computer for a friend. the problem i thought was easy becuase it sounded a lot like something that i had encounterd. She has 4 accounts on her computer and everytime you click on one to log on it will load up the desktop then totally freeze, cant click anything or use the vulcan death pinch. so i did what i had done in the past, booted in safe mode and logged in as admin to delete the accounts, but when i go to delete them it just locks up and the window says not responding. it does this for all of the accounts. for now i just made another account that works fine but still cant delete the other 4 accounts. they are running norton antivirus but it hasnt caught anything.

your suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Before you go deleting any of the accounts, I would make sure to have the owners back up their files... if they have any they want to keep.

Catch22... I know they can't do this, since they can't log in. However, it's something to keep in mind before you delete the accounts.

If the users really have nothing to lose, you could try overwriting their profiles with the account you just created and then try deleting them again.

Have you tried an XP repair? Here

dr.huynh

dr.huynh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
1. Log into an account that has administrator access.
2. Then go to command prompt. There's three ways of doing it.
(1) Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
or
(2) Go to Start, Run, and then type cmd
or
(3) Hold the Windows Key and then press R. Then type cmd
Those are the three ways that I know of.
3. At the prompt, type net user
When you type net user, it'll list the user names. Two common user names listed are Administrator and Guest.
4. Now, to delete a user name, type in net user USERNAME /delete
Replace USERNAME with the user name you want deleted. For example, if the user name you want to delete is BILLGATES, then you would type the following:
net user BILLGATES /delete
And BILLGATES will be gone. As far as I know, this process cannot be reversed. So use it at your own risk! =)

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ya all of the users of the computer dont need to keep any files other than their outlook contacts which i already saved to a flash drive.

They wanted to just delete the accounts so i used your advice dr.huynh and it worked just fine.

But thanks for the post makai that is a good thing to have in my back pocket.

Thanks to you both,
Bob