Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mix and match ddr333 and ddr400?

• Please log in to reply

AndyH96Z

AndyH96Z

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an MSI Neo K8T Platinum board which doesn't recognize the full 1GB of RAM I currently have (only 512 MB seen). I've tried switching slots around and so forth with no results. This leads to my question: Since this board will support 4GB of RAM, can I mix DDR400 with DDR333 (by the motherboard settings for RAM speed) to get the full 4GB on the board?

I couldn't tell you the brand of my current memory, but this next purchase will be either Corsair, Crucial or OCZ (all of which I will find the specific sticks that are compatible with my board).

TIA,

-A

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looking at my manual it says use matched pairs where you can. right i think i get what you are asking. In order to get the full 4gb you will need to install a full set of 4 1gb single sided modules in order to get 4gb of ddr400 but even then it will only be detected as 3+ gb. For best performance you want a matched pair of 1gb low latency pc3200 modules from someone like corsair.

But read your manual its pretty explanatory on the subject.