Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Distressing Firefox Error

• Please log in to reply

JayRod

JayRod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm getting an odd "Windows - No disk" error when using firefox. Specifically, it only pops up when I open the Download window in firefox, and occasionally happens when I close it. That is when a window like this pops up:

Posted Image

Afterwards, no matter what option I click, the window pops right back up six to twelve times before finally going away. I'm afraid it might be malicious software, but even if it is not, I'm desperatly seeking help to get rid of of this nuisance.

Google has not been my friend. I found a few with similiar problems that had the window like this one that wouldn't go away. However, none were specific to firefox and most got the error on startup of Windows. Some people put a disk in once and it never asked again or found other ways to fix it, and some, like me, are still looking for a solution.

I have run AVG anti-virus software, as well as Lavasoft's and Microsoft's anti-spyware programs with the most in-depth settings and most recent librarys and still get nothing. I've also uninstalled/reinstalled firefox.

I've also tried putting a blank floppy disk in. When I do, the PC looks to be accessing the drive and after a few moments the download window will open without having the dreaded no disk error. Afterwards, the contents of disc appear unchanged. However, without a disc in the drive, I get the error.

I first noticed this problem last night, when I wanted to see the progress of the FEAR pc game demo I was downloading. Before that, I can't think of anything I have installed or may have done to cause this.

I really hate to be a bother, but I feel I have done everything I know to do and need help. Thank you for any advice/help/suggestions.

Rod

Advertisements

jambay19

jambay19

• Pip
  • 1 posts
someone help me too! same problem here too!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Nikerym

Nikerym

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Found a fix. :) Firefox references files even though they're very old. Try clearing up your download history by pressing the "Cleanup" button. Worked for me :tazz:

Edited by Nikerym, 19 August 2005 - 06:36 AM.