Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashing

• Please log in to reply

mike222

mike222

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

when I am running flight sim 2004, or combat flight sim, my computer keeps crashing. It automatically resets. I have turned off the auto reset in 'my computer', but just reboots. Sometimes when windows opens, I get the error "Error Caused By A Device Driver".

I have tried many versions of the drivers but having no luck. I recently downloaded SP2 as my antivirus software said too, other than that not much change.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Probably heat related. How old is the computer?

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
computer is less than 12 months old, video card even less.

vid card is 128mb geforce 5700V, ram is 512 and is a desktop, not sure motherboard

I was running this program without fault until now!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Whenever I have problems with games, I usually end up reinstalling them. I play all the Quake games (run under win98), Ut2003, Wolfenstein, FarCry, Doom (under XP) I never have problems running them. Of course, I'm still at SP1a so I don't know if SP2 may be causing a problem. Did you have problems before updating your Sp2?

What version Nvidia driver are you using now? Is it the latest version? I've seen a lot of posts regarding the latest version causing various problems. You might try stepping back a version or two.

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I didn;t have problems before sp2, but after installing initially i didn't either.

i have tried the latest driver (77.89), and even tried about 6 previous versions, all with the same result.

the crashing is not happening in any pattern, sometimes it reverts back to the desktop, but usually just reboots with the error "Error Caused By A Device Driver" on startup.

The errors on startup varied the first few times, but now seem to only get the Error Caused By A Device Driver.

Have attached one of the screenshots I took of one of the errors.

A friend said it may be the soundcard, which I have uninstalled and removed but seems to make no difference

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I didn;t have problems before sp2, but after installing initially i didn't either.

i have tried the latest driver (77.89), and even tried about 6 previous versions, all with the same result.

the crashing is not happening in any pattern, sometimes it reverts back to the desktop, but usually just reboots with the error "Error Caused By A Device Driver" on startup.

The errors on startup varied the first few times (ie BCCODE 1000000a) - have attached screenshot, but now seem to only get the Error Caused By A Device Driver.

A friend said it may be the soundcard, which I have uninstalled and removed but seems to make no difference

Attached Files

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry, can't seem to open your attachment. Can you attach a jpeg!

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Try This.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just thought i'd let you know that while running in windows, screen occasionally goes blank for 2 or 3 seconds, then comes back; this seems to be happening every 4 or 5 minutes. - I worried that it is a cooling problem perhaps?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Google hits are many for this error. What kind of motherboard are you using? It may need additional drivers. You can download Eversest from Here if you don't know the information off hand.

Also, you might try removing that SP2 update and see if the results are the same. Perhaps the update messed more things up than it normally does! :tazz:

Advertisements

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Motherboard Name MSI KM3M-V (MS-7061) / KM4M-L (MS-6734 v1) / KM4AM-L (MS-6734 v2) / MS-6786

//

Will removing sp2 open any 'major' security problems?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Will removing sp2 open any 'major' security problems?

Don't remove SP2, I was only referring to the last update you installed.

Did you just move from Sp1 to Sp2? Is this the update you did?

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I use auto update, and noticed that this in the in add/remove software option.

Should I download and run "MD Sempron™ Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version" as a driver for the motherboard?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Should I download and run "MD Sempron™ Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version" as a driver for the motherboard?

I have no idea... but it might help, or hurt! This is why my sig carries a request. It helps to know what hardware is running on someones computer. I think I need to change my sig though as no pay much attention to it. :tazz: I actually thought you were running a P4 before you listed your motherboard.

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry, I don't know enough about the numbers and figures!

CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1200 MHz (9 x 133)