Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashing

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
See... I changed my sig! :tazz:

I don't know where to lead you on this. It comes down to whether or not you remember when it was your problems began. You seem to have done what you needed to do as far as drivers go, so thats probably not the problem... although it still could be.

I would say that something with the update of Sp2 changed your machine. If you did go from Sp1 to Sp2, then it was a major upgrade. You now have windows firewall running at all times which could be eating resources while you're playing your game. It's hard to say.

If you're running system restore, I would try to go back to a date when you suspect your machine was working fine and start over from there. Other than that, I'm kinda out of ideas. Sorry.

Advertisements

modusoperandi

modusoperandi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This does sound like a similar issue I was having with my Nvidia Drivers. I had to roll back to driver 71.89. Just make sure you completely uninstall any previous drivers before installing those ones.

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have deinstalled all updates that have been downloaded for the past 2 days, and have installed driver 71.89, which I thought had done the trick, as it seemed to run a bit longer.... but it is so intermittant anyway. N

Now this time it froze, so I left it, and about 15 mins later came up with the blue screen, with a very long explanation refering to 'driver stuck in an infinate loop' and the following

*** STOP: 0x000000EA (0X81B49AA0, 0X81B38938, 0XF8969CB4, 0X00000001)

NV4_DISP
BEGINNING DUMP OF PYSICAL MEM
PYSICAL DUMP OF MEM COMPLETE
CONTACT SYSTEM ADMISITRATION ETC....

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
To stop the blue screen from appearing. Before u install ur Video card driver, u will have to disable Hardware Acceleration for ur Video Card temporairly.
Follow the steps below to do that:
  • Open Display Properties (Right-click on Desktop->Properties).
  • On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
  • Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the
  • Enable Write Combining check box.
  • Click OK, and then click OK.
U must revert back to the old settings once the Video card driver is installed.

Edited by darth_ash, 09 August 2005 - 04:25 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Google searches indicate this error is a "driver" problem. But it may also be hardware.

Stop 0x000000EA or THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem is causing the system to pause indefinitely. Typically, this problem is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter or a faulty video driver.

Possible Resolutions:

* Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers (especially video drivers) or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

Microsoft KB articles:
STOP 0x000000EA ErrMsg Running Video-Intensive Programs
STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

If following what darth_ash suggests doesn't fix it, do you have another video card you can swap into your computer?

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have tried the above, with no success again!

I have an OLD video card which I will give a go...

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have installed old video card, and so far no crashes... :tazz:

So off shopping this weekend, to see what I can get

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Hi,

when I am running flight sim 2004, or combat flight sim, my computer keeps crashing.  It automatically resets.  I have turned off the auto reset in 'my computer', but just reboots.  Sometimes when windows opens, I get the error "Error Caused By A Device Driver".

I have tried many versions of the drivers but having no luck.  I recently downloaded SP2 as my antivirus software said too, other than that not much change.
HELP ME PLEASE!!

View Post

Have you updated your drivers and/or updated your computer?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Nvidia card manufactures normally warrant the card for life! You might try calling in for an RMA. Even if you decide to buy a new card, you may end up with a good spare if the manufacture will replace this one. Call them!!!! :tazz:

makai

mike222

mike222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll give the warranty a go.

I ran FSim overnight, with the graphics turned up and was still running sweet 7 hours later. :tazz:

Thanks for the help and advice. ;) :)

Edited by mike222, 10 August 2005 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Nvidia card manufactures normally warrant the card for life!  You might try calling in for an RMA.  Even if you decide to buy a new card, you may end up with a good spare if the manufacture will replace this one.  Call them!!!! :tazz:

makai

View Post

Is this for Geforce 4 MX 440's as well?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Might be... If you have the original box the card came in, it might show something on it. Also check the original paperwork. And... check the manufacture website. Even if they don't mention anything, you should still ping them on it.