Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

cisvc.exe

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey Just wondering,
This file cisvc.exe is in C:\windows\System32 and C:\windows\prefetch, and C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

AND

Today I found the virus named Trojan Horse Dropper.Agent.8.B in the c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\cisvc.exe

Is this a real virus?
Ma virus scanner shoved it in the virus vault, does it need to be in ther folder above?

Why would it need to be in C:\windows\prefetch
?

Advertisements

wildrex

wildrex

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Process File: cisvc or cisvc.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Index Service Helper

Description:
cisvc.exe is a process that belongs to the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is used to monitor the memory usage in CIDAEMON.exe and prevent low memory problems. This is an essential system process and should not be removed. This program is an essential system process and should not be removed

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Process File: cisvc or cisvc.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Index Service Helper

Description:
cisvc.exe is a process that belongs to the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is used to monitor the memory usage in CIDAEMON.exe and prevent low memory problems. This is an essential system process and should not be removed. This program is an essential system process and should not be removed

View Post

Even from C:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\cisvc.exe cause that is where it was.... the one in the C:\windows\System32 is clean, and so that is not been removed

Its just the one that was in c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\cisvc.exe that was infected.

as I asked before, Is this a real virus?
and Why would it need to be in C:\windows\prefetch?

wildrex

wildrex

• Pip
  • 6 posts
http://www.trendmicr......ATA&VSect=Sn
try that it could be a virus read about in above link hope this helps

Edited by wildrex, 08 August 2005 - 09:25 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
No offence but that did not help, nor answer my questions.

I just want to know more about them and have to read complicated things, I cant seem to find a site that would have the information simplified.
Why would it need to be in C:\windows\prefetch

Edited by Tony_1983, 08 August 2005 - 09:37 PM.