Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Changing app/process load order

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all the updates and several security programs including SystemWorks, GhostSurf, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and others. Yes I'm paranoid.... :tazz:

Anyway, I want to be able to determine the order in which each of those applications' "watchdog" or process components loads itself when Windows starts up. For instance Windows sometimes warns that the antivirus program (Norton AntiVirus) is turned off, but that is only because it hadn't loaded yet. I want my firewall, ZoneAlarm, to load before anything else, followed by Norton AntiVirus, and then the others.

Does anyone know how to do this? I tried looking in boot.ini and parts of the Registry, but I just can't seem to find the list of stuff that loads when Windows boots up. The "startup" folder doesn't even list shortcuts of the programs that load when Windows boots up, so I don't know where they are. It's a mystery.......

Thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can offer!

-- mkabru.