Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM blues DELL Dimension 4600

• Please log in to reply

AlexRadu

AlexRadu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I just purchased some memory today - OCZ DUAL DDR PC-3200 Performance Series Rev. 3 Dual Channel, 512MB, PC400. I installed it on my Dell Dimension 4600 (which already had 512M of RAM Dual Channel). Here is the report on my computer BEFORE installing the memory:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

System Info
Model : Dell Dimension 4600i
Chassis Type : Mini Tower
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Processor
Number Of Processors : 1 Hyper-Threading Enabled
Type : Intel Pentium 4 3000 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 800 MHz

Motherboard
Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corp.
Model : 0F4491 Rev. Not Available
CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
Chipset Vendor : Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Rev. A2
Bios Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation
Bios Version : A09

Graphics
Model : Intel ONBOARD 82865G/GV
ONBOARD Speed : Not Available
Monitor : Default Monitor

Storage
Hard Drive 1 : ST3120026AS
Size : 114.44 GB

Memory
Total RAM Installed : 512 MB
Type : DDR DIMM PC3200
Used RAM Slots: 2 of 4

Peripherals
USB Version : 2.0

This PC currently has 512 MB of memory installed, and supports a maximum of 4096 MB. There are 4 memory slots on the motherboard, and 2 of them are empty. The maximum memory module supported by this system is 1024 megabytes. You can add up to 2 PC3200 DDR DIMM modules (choose from available sizes below). To maintain consistent memory performance, select memory with a CAS Latency (CL) of 3.0 clocks or lower.

Slot 1: Kingston 256MB PC3200 DDR K
Slot 2: Kingston 256MB PC3200 DDR K
Slot 3: EMPTY
Slot 4: EMPTY

Total RAM Installed : 512MB
Type : DDR DIMM PC3200
Used RAM Slots: 2 of 4
Memory Bus Frequency: 199 MHz
Memory Timings: 3.0-3-3-8

Number Of Processors : 1 Hyper-Threading Enabled
Type : Intel Pentium 4 3000 MHz
Package : mPGA-478
Manufacturer Codename : Northwood
Clock Speed : 2992 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 15.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 800 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 512 KBytes Stepping : D1
Trace Width : 0.13
Microcode : 21h
Instruction Sets : MMX, SSE, SSE2
___________________________________________________________________________________________

After installing the memory, the system correctly reported a total of 1GB of RAM, but at a speed of 266Mhz INSTEAD OF 400. I took the new memory out, I rebooted, and the speed went back again to 400Mhz. I re-installed it, I rebooted again, and the speed went down again to 266 Mhz. Then I took out the original memory and I installed ONLY the OCZ memory - the system reported 333 Mhz. I switched back to the original memory, and my BIOS immediately reported 400Mhz, correct.

I tried to talk with the store, and this is the answer I got - nevermind the spelling ! :-))))

This kind of problem is well known on any computer like Dell, HP or any brand name computer which used very poor component, or no name component, and in all case it’s a problem with the Bios. You have maybe just to update your Bios, it a bios update exist. But if your computer works with the 4 slot loaded, that’s mean that’s everything’s is fine and don’t read the Bios, because on this kind of computer the bios doesn’t reflect the reality.

Your memory come directly from OCZ in California like all our memory every single day.

Might it really be the BIOS which is not reporting the correct speed ????

Thank you.

Alex

PS. There is NO Bios update on Dell's site.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you know what the CAS latencies are for each pair of modules?

I believe all 4 modules have to match. This IS a known issue with certain Dell systems but you should be able to get round it by making sure the CAS latencies (as well as speed) are identical for every ram modules. When the cas latencies are mismatched, the system decreases the overall speed of the ram to compensate for the mismatch.