Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Write Protected, mcafee will not delete

• Please log in to reply

gocrdnls25

gocrdnls25

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have malware or a virus or something on the upstairs computer, we didnt have mcafee updated and had problems, then we updated and scaned and had many programs in the C:_restore/TEMP... however i cannot find anything like that in the C drive....can someone tell me how to get rid of this..thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Disable System Restore.. reboot and re-enable System Restore..

All gone !! :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Other than going to the Malware forum and going through their routine, which may be advisable anyway, you can do these things:

Go to Folder Options>View and enable View All Files.

When you open a folder choose Arrange icons by date, so that you can see recently downloaded files. Disregard log files as they change at every boot.

Open your task manager and close any suspect files. You can then try deleting files you have good reason to suspect.

If you want to see all running processes go to Programs>Accessories>System tools>System information. It will show you everything that is running, not just the .exe files.

You can go into Safe Mode where fewer things are running and try deleting them. You can delete anything you want in ms-dos mode but doing that, especially in an ME machine, isn't very easy.

I actually had a few baddies on this machine and was able to remove them manualy.

gocrdnls25

gocrdnls25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you for the fast responses...ill be trying them out...im gettin exercise too...running up and down the stairs between this computer troubleshooting and the infected one...hopefully this will get working