Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HAL.DLL MISSING OR CORRUPT AGAIN...

• Please log in to reply

oreofudge

oreofudge

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recently posted a message seeking help in repairing a missing file error at start-up, the file was HAL.DLL.

After following instructions from other members and since nothing seemed to fix the prob, I decided to reformat the disk and reinstall windows. This happened more or less a month ago. and everything was working great, but a couple of days ago, after turning-off the puter during a thunderstorm for prevention and turning it on the following day, the missing or corrupt HAL.DLL file error reappeared.

Any hints as to what might be causing this? Do I need to reformat and reinstall again?

Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
http://www.dll-files...files.shtml?hal

don't know if this will help?? but can only try, if works then sweet, if it doesn't then can always un-install it.

cheers woody

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps below:
  • In ur BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • U will be prompted for Adminstrator account's password. Press Enter if the password was blank.
  • Type the following commands, and press enter after each one:
    • Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
      (where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
    • DEL C:\Boot.ini
    • BootCfg /Rebuild
    • Fixboot
  • Reboot ur PC

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Darth...

When I got to the puter with the prob, no hal.dll error nor any other error was showing, my friend just told me it did the same as the last time so that's why I posted the hal.dll prob...

It actually starts booting up then the screen just stays black. Nonetheless I inserted the CD and ran the recovery console following your instructions until the BOOTCFG /REBUILD, it old me to run CHKDSK since there was an error so I did, it found one or more errors as the message said, afterwards tried again running BOOTCFG /REBUILD and ran... before it finished it showed me a message that had to do with Load Identifier and OS, I didn't know what to type there so typed 1 in each...

Now the puter starts but instead of staying at the black screen, it now shows that there is an error with the c:\windows\system32\config\system file...

Which I hope is somekind of progress since it went from a black screen to one that actually shows a possible error...

Will be waiting for your response, thanks in advance!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Refer the following M$ article and follow the steps in it:
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;307545

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Darth...

I brought my friend's cpu home to do a backup before attempting anything else, but now it's not showing the error message, just stays balck again, should I still follow your last suggestion?...

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If its not giving u problems anymore. Then donot follow the instructinos.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes its still giving problems, I mean, the error that I mentioned was displayed when I was at my friend's house, now that the puter its with me it isnt showing it, the screen just stays black and nothing else happens, so I went on with your latest instructions...

After reading the article I went on and followed the steps, after doing PART 1 and rebooting in safe mode to got to PART 2, the list of loading files that usually shows when logging-in in safe mode stops after displaying following file: \WINDOWS\APPPATCH\DRVMAIN.SDB, then it freezes...

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Go to Recovery console as suggested in my previous posts

If u have upgraded to SP2, by downloading it:
Type, copy C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\DRVMAIN.SDB C:\WINDOWS\APPPATCH\DRVMAIN.SDB

If u have SP2 CD, or u have'nt installed latest Service Pack:
Type, copy X:\i386\DRVMAIN.SDB C:\WINDOWS\APPPATCH\DRVMAIN.SDB
(where x: is ur cd-rom drive letter)

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Did as you told and rebooted, it was able to boot in safe mode but a message displayed with the following text...

LSASS.EXE - SYSTEM ERROR
An Invalid Parameter was passed to a service or function

with an OK button as the only option, when pressed the puter restarted in normal mode and displayed the same message window...

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Wow, the no. of problems are going on increasing.
Looks like its time for Repair Installtion.
Refer: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html for more details.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I followed your link and went on with the repair but while is still intalling the lsass.exe error message is being displayed, be aware that the installation is running even though the message is showing.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I take back my recent post, it isn't installing anything, it stayed on preparing installation and the message window displayed...

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I found the following from another forum:
http://www.annoyance...nxp/r1041063855.
Follow the instructions in it.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the article, is more or less the instructions of the M$ article. I can remove the troubled HDD and connect it to my CPU and try to do as it says, but should this work even though I already started to repair windows, also, when trying to log-in thru the recovery console, it asks me now for the admin password and when I hit enter it prompts for it again and again...

Anyways, I will try the fix and keep you posted...