Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

html on XP desktop-active desktop gone!

• Please log in to reply

RJF

RJF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a warning about spyware (an ad of some kind) that says click here, etc. Since the entire desktop is constantly blinking of and on, and eventually bleaches itself into oblivion and freezes each newly opened window in place before totally taking control away and I have to re-start the machine to start the process all over again. I am sure a knowledgeable person will find this a simple problem but it is driving me crazy!
Also, a little window keeps popping up that says "Can't find Active Desktop HTML file"
If this is too mundane to warrant a response, please tell me so and I will withdraw my request for help.
ABS computer; Athalon 2200 @ 1800; sound doesn't work

Edited by RJF, 08 August 2005 - 11:04 PM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open Display Properties (Right-click on Desktop->Properties).
In the Display Properties dialog, click on the Desktop tab. Now, click on the Customize Desktop button.
In the newly opened Desktop Items Window, click on Web tab.
Deselect all items and click Ok.

RJF

RJF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried clicking on the desktop->properties and I get a window with only two tabs: Screen Saver & Settings.

Thanx for the reply. Got any new ideas?

papashango

papashango

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

This is a warning about spyware (an ad of some kind) that says click here, etc.  Since the entire desktop is constantly blinking of and on, and eventually bleaches itself into oblivion and freezes each newly opened window in place before totally taking control away and I have to re-start the machine to start the process all over again.  I am sure a knowledgeable person will find this a simple problem but it is driving me crazy!
Also, a little window keeps popping up that says "Can't find Active Desktop HTML file"
If this is too mundane to warrant a response, please tell me so and I will withdraw my request for help.
ABS computer; Athalon 2200 @ 1800; sound doesn't work

View Post

have you tried running a spyware removal tool yet?

agent1102

agent1102

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello RJF

Boot into safe mode then do this:

Open Display Properties (Right-click on Desktop->Properties).
In the Display Properties dialog, click on the Desktop tab. Now, click on the Customize Desktop button.
In the newly opened Desktop Items Window, click on Web tab.
Deselect all items and click Ok.

View Post

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download and open restorealldisplaytabs.reg (from Kelly's Korner) to merge it with the registry.
The rest of the desktop tabs should be back.

Edited by darth_ash, 11 August 2005 - 12:41 AM.

RJF

RJF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I spent an hour looking for restorealltabs in Kelley's Korner before returning to your internet message to message you about my failure when I accidently clicked on the connection within your E-mail - and the site download went right in from there!!!!! Anyway, there was no improvement or change. I've been unable to stay on the internet long enough to reply until today - sorry. Today, amid my scrambled Desktop, I made out the message, "restore my active desktop" and clicked on it and -- instantly the mangled desktop cleared up and quit blinking>>> would you like a "Hijack this read-out"??????? Machine is still fraught with problems.

sampelje

sampelje

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Hi,

I just had the same problem. It's a nasty version of W32.DesktopHijack.

Here's the fix.

find a working system and copy the file
c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll to some type of portable media.

Boot in safe mode with command prompt.
rename or delete the file
c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
and replace with the one you got that is good.

Reboot then rerun Adware SE and your favorite virus scanner.

Worked for me!

ShortY 1691

ShortY 1691

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey
Im new to Geeks to Go and i am having the same problem
I have downloaded restore all display tabs and it is in my documents but only asks me if i want to add the information to a file and doesnt do anything when i select yes twice. How can i fix this problem??? :tazz:

sampelje

sampelje

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ensure you have admin rights and /or have logged in as admin. Just double-click the link above and open it. Don't save it locally.

ShortY 1691

ShortY 1691

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How do i get admin?

sampelje

sampelje

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After logging in

Start /Control panel/ Users and Groups / find your id and ensure it is in the administrators group. Else, log in with the id administrator and the appropriete password