Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remote desktop sharing

• Please log in to reply

mohave

mohave

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A friend of mine's mother has had several occassions where I have had to go over to her house to help her with her computer ... it's about 1.5 hr round trip, so it would be helpful if I could gain access to her pc remotely.

I used to be able to connect to her pc from work, but have changed jobs and can no longer connect from the new job or home.

Her pc: OS Win 2000; IP 192.168.x.x ; ISP COX Cable
my pc: OS XP ; IP 192.168.x.x ; ISP Qwest / msn DSL

our last 2 numbers are different from each other ... but I'm wondering if since both of us have 192.168 this may be causing the problem.

We have tried VNC, windows messenger, and netmeeting - unable to connect on any of the 3. VNC just wouldn't work ... msn messenger wouldnt work because I am on XP and she is on Win 2000 ... and netmeeting will not work.

I prefer netmeeting if at all possible ... I enabled remote desktop sharing on both pc's but we still can not connect.

Can anyone PLEASE help me understand why I can not connect to her pc ???

:tazz: ;)

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Are either of you running any firewalls? How about the default XP Firewall? Anti Spyware software? My advice to you is, buy a remote access program install it to your machine, snail mail it to your friend and have them install it, problem solved!

dyserq

dyserq

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Windows messenger, seeing as it is not compatible, you should switch to another IM such as msn messenger or if you want, trillian
I would take phybyr0ptyks suggestion, get a remote access program and then problem fixed
Take a look at some of these remote access programs that you can download, some are free and some offer trials which expire after a certain period or have disabled features

http://www.download....40_4-0-1-4.html?