Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

Marko400

Marko400

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys

Having some strange problems. About 5 weeks ago my computer was unable to boot up all the way into XP. It blue screened and went into a reboot loop. I did a XP repair and the computer still would not boot until I disabled the ACPI feature in the BIOS it then ran fine until 3 days ago when it said Error Operating System not found.

Did a fixboot and it booted up fine but Windows seemed to be corrupted because the taskbar did not come up and I couldn't get the start menu up with ctrl+esc or using the windows key. Also could not configure many items in the control panel ect.

Ran chkdsk /R found a few errors. I then did a XP repair and again it would not boot until I did a fixboot. After getting it to boot up Windows still did not have a start menu or task bar and many items were corrupted.

I then did a complete new reinstall. Windows XP seems fine but I can only get into it once after doing a fixboot else I get error Operating System not found. So just to be clear after doing a fix boot using the Repair console I get one chance to boot into Windows if I shut down it will not boot up again until I do another fixboot.

I have been running a hard drive monitoring tool called Active SMART
which is showing that the hard drive is fine. I also took out the hard drive and put it into my old computer and ran a full virus scan using Norton and AVG both came up clean.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Still have no idea if it is Mother board, BIOS, hard drive or new nasty virus.

Thanks
Mark

UPdate:
I just bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 2000 instead of XP and it seemed to be fine rebooted at least 20 times with no problems until I enabled the ACPI in the BIOS and tried to open a file on the old drive which I installed as a slave. Then I could no longer boot all the way into Windows froze just after log in. I am now in the process of formatting and trying again with Windows 2000 on the new drive. Not sure if it was the file I tried to open or enabling the ACPI which was the first problem 5 weeks ago.

Edited by Marko400, 09 August 2005 - 01:08 PM.

Advertisements

Marko400

Marko400

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Another Update: After formatting and installing Windows 2000 again, I made sure ACPI was disabled and tried to open some of the files on the old drive. Looks like many of the files are corrupted on the old drive and opeing a .txt file that has an icon that looks like notepad actually is a folder and show the files contained within. But after opening the same files and folders as I did previously I rebooted and all was fine.

By process of eliminations it looks like it must be the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) wich is corrupting the files on the hard drive.

I will shut this off with the power bar it is not worth trying to get the Automatic Shutdown feature to work if I may have to redo the whole drive again.

If anyone has any ideas or has run into this problem before I would like to hear about it.

Regards
Mark

Edited by Marko400, 09 August 2005 - 06:42 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This

When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability. Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation. To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been installed is pretty close to zilch.

is from this

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm