Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

i2att0716

i2att0716

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer has been shutting down at different moments when I use it. Liek its power just seems to shut down, the way it sounds if you would just unplug it or there were a power outage. I can't really explain it. There was a similar problem that occured a while ago when windows would not run properly. It would load and in between it would just shutdown. I was able to fix taht problem when I removed my new HD, but i plugged it back in and it seemed fine, up until now. Now it shuts down while I'm using it, and I don't really know what to do to fix it. ANy help would be nice, thanks....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD, get a blue progress bar which goes off when done.

Click start, run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot. It will take an hour to get back to the desktop, do not disturb, as long as the CPU light is on, it's fine.

If it still does it, look at temperature and the video adapter

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Get Everst Home, click + next to computer then sensor for the temperatures