Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I make My Computer A Server?

• Please log in to reply

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I always wanted to know whether i can make my destkop computer into a server. As i read through a few threads on this forum, some ppl say it is quite possible. If yes, how to do it?

With adequate protection such as firewall and virus detection, is it reasonable protected enough to make ur destkop a server to host files ..etc?

What is the disadvantage of making a server out of your computer?( Besides powering up your computer for long hours?

Thanks.

Advertisements

eazyc10

eazyc10

• Pip
  • 5 posts
What kind of web server are you looking to setup?

Unless you plan on running something with mid to high end traffic I wouldn't be as concerned about security. Running apache on either windows or linux is secure. Just make sure you keep your OS updated and only open the necessary ports (typically 80)

Another other concern you may have is bandwidth. Depending on your broadband connection, your upload speed may be slow which in turn would have slow load times for the end user.

Edited by eazyc10, 09 August 2005 - 07:12 AM.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think a server to host a webpage is sufficient enough. How do i get a domain name for my webpage? Do i need to register with some company out there?

Can i get it for free ( the domain name)? Anyway, i am planning to use 60KBps broadband.Is the bandwidth sufficient enough?

nubs8

nubs8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ya you can make any computer a web server as long as you have a high speed internet connection. Setting up a web server can be really easy or painfully hard it all depends on your situation.

What os is the computer you what to use as a server running?
Do you have a router?
Do you have a ethernet card already installed on the server?
Is your server only going to be serving HTML files or PHP?
Do you desire a MySQL database?

Once you answer there questions I can tell you the best way to setup your server.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
My OS is Windows XP With Service Pack 2. Ya, i am thinking of getting a ADSL modem with built in router. Do u really need a router? Is ADSL modem enough?

I have a network card installed already. I thinking of using HTML first without any MYSQL database cause it is the first time i trying to host something. Hope this answer ur questions. :tazz:

MaleqAlhaq

MaleqAlhaq

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Setting up a MySQL DB and PHP interpreter is not tha hard. Take a look at the "The Saint WAMP" project on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.n...rojects/yawamp/). It worked for me pretty good. Just have a look!

Edit: I used it to set up a little Wiki on my notebook and it works pretty good.

Edited by MaleqAlhaq, 11 August 2005 - 05:18 AM.

nubs8

nubs8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If your ever get a router you will need to setup port forwarding. I will need to be forward to 192.168.0.2:80 if the computer is connected to port 1 of the router.

download KF Web Server http://www.keyfocus....load/kfws25.exe

After it is installed open Internet Explorer and type 127.0.0.1 in the address bar.

Here are some useful sites that helped me setup my first web server.
http://www.dslwebserver.com
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Edited by nubs8, 11 August 2005 - 04:08 PM.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Why on earth are all of you making it so confusing? He (or she?) doesnt need Apache, MySQL or any of that other stuff... if all you want to do is experiment with hosting a site, and as long as you are running Windows XP Pro, you have everything you need...simply install IIS: start>control panel>add/remove software>add/remove windows components>check the box for Internet Information Services (IIS).
I'm not going to go through all the setup, there is plenty of material freely available on the web about setting up and running IIS.
If you are not running XP Pro, do a search on Tucows for web servers...there are a bunch out there that are much easier to set up on a windows box than trying to go through the gyrations of getting Apache to work.
Now you have a web server up and running...to the question about security and routers and all that happy stuff. You dont NEED a router...and to the person who gave mis-information about port forwarding, shame on you! If you arent sure what you are talking about dont give advice. The local ips that you are talking about forwarding to can be different in every situation...and there is absolutely NO correlation between where physically (port) you plug your system into the router. IPs are assigned in the router settings, not hard coded into a physical connection.
So, with that being cleared up...no you dont need to run out and buy any hardware just to run a web server. However, if you are planning on having much traffic, I would recommend a simple hardware firewall router that supports DDNS. This is where your question about domain names comes into play...DDNS is dyanamic dns and the service itself can be had for very little and in some instances free. Read the documentation that comes with your router, they usually recomend DDNS services that are compatible with their equipment. And yes, if you want an actual domain name (ie www.yoursitename.com) you will need to purchase it. There are a lot of different domain registrars...just do a search on google. The expense is minimal.
Once you have your name you will need to register it with your DDNS service...whatever service you get will have directions, its not difficult.
What the DDNS does for you is this:
many service providers will change ip addresses randomly to discourage people from running servers on their lines...hence the dynamic dns...if you are using a router that supports DDNS, it and the DDNS service provider "broadcast" to each other, so if the ip address is changed, your DDNS is notified and updates.
In regards to which router to get, I use Linksys...they are easy to set up (pretty much plug in and go) and easy to configure (administered through your web browser).
If you are planning on running this on the same system you do other stuff on I strongly caution that if you get much traffic at all it will slow down anything else your doing drastically.
In regards to security, again if you arent planning on making a big production out of it, I wouldnt worry too much about it. As long as you have all your updates from Microsoft, you should be ok for what you are doing. If you are indeed planning on going full production in a public environment, I would discourage using a home system. If you REALLY want to run a site from your home, get a second system better suited for this task...however, I would suggest getting a hosting service instead...overall it will be less expensive, all the maintenence is done for you, and most hosts offer database access, scripts to freely use, email, and anything else you can think of you might need to run a site. Much less of a headache.
It can be fun playing with a webserver, but it can be a lot of work too if you get in over your head.

pgarcia418

pgarcia418

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hosting your own site is not hard at all. There's an awesome ebook that will show you just how easy it is. It shows you how to set up your web server, set up your router, if you have one, get your domain name, and how to dynamically have your DNS settings update automatically if your IP address changes. The book is called "7 Easy Steps to Hosting your Website at home" and you can find it at www.webhostingsteps.com

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Here's a lil' info for you.

1. Abyss X1 webserver. It's GUI allows easier control of your server, and you can see everything from who's connected and what IP they connected from, to how many hits. Abyss Webserver Software Download

2. DNS. There are many DNS services out there. The most user friendly I've found is called FreeDNS. Free DNS hosting
This allows you to have a .com subdomain that directs to your computer if you dont have a static IP address. This would allow you to host files and HTML pages my giving someone a you.whatever.com address. You can have at least 2 subdomains and IPs per account.

3. Updater for free DNS
If your IP changes, this software automatically updates your you.whatever.com address. The timing is selectable as to how often it looks, and rarely needs a "kick start" to get the IP corrected. I think I've done it once in the 3 months I've used it.

This should get you started. If you need help, just let me know.

Rockett

Advertisements

DaGeekz

DaGeekz

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ooh, ty rockett. I was using PI3 web to host sites, Abyss looks much better

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
np, that's what I'm here for :tazz:

Paritoshik

Paritoshik

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hii guys i want to set up a webserver in my workin machin i m usin ubuntu 12.04,4gb,320gb please help me i want to host the drupal website on my server and i m a newebie so please start with hosting of simple things like hostin simple html pages please help me out...

Paritoshik

Paritoshik

• Pip
  • 3 posts
apart frm an IIS on windows what would work on ubuntu 12.04 ????

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
CentOS is commonly used for webservers. It's free, and powers this website.

I really can't emphasise enough that you really shouldn't run a server from your house, or your main system. Get a cheap shared hosting account.