Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck without a clue

• Please log in to reply

ForestKirby

ForestKirby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So, I was playing my game last night when the graphics were getting all glitchy and then the computer started to freeze up. As I shut off the computer and came back in an hour or so and turned it on, I ran into my problem. When I start my computer it runs normally until it reaches the Windows loading screen. Sometimes it can't even load to the next screen and when it does reach the next screen it's just black and freezes (or atleast it seems like it freezes). So, I load in my Windows XP disk and get to the Windows Update blue screen. I hit enter instead of r to repair, and F8 for the I agree statement. While the computer is searching for partitions, it freezes. I'm totally stuck and don't know what to do or what is going on.

Edit: My friend thought that maybe my computer was overheating and so I watched it in BIOS and stays around the 100-114 range.

Is there anyway for me to reformat my computer without using the windows disk to do so because it seems to just get stuck at that one point.

Edited by ForestKirby, 09 August 2005 - 05:45 AM.

Advertisements

ForestKirby

ForestKirby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So, I search for my issue and see that someone else before me had an issue like mine. http://www.geekstogo...697&hl=reformat

Only difference is, he could get to the next screen that didn't have the option to repair Windows.

You refered him to http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html and I also read that...

***If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.***

So how else am I going to reformat?

ForestKirby

ForestKirby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well finally, I got the dreaded blue screen that told me I was in trouble. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I read the previous post about the screen and even searched on the net and it said something to the effect of my processor overheating. I went into BIOS and the processor heated from 98-124 before autoshutting down in less than a minute. I waited 5 minutes and tried turning it on only before it turned off once again in about 15 seconds. I took my computer outside and dusted what was in there out and tried again. Now the computer turns on and then straight off. I think my CPU is fried and worried about other damage done now. Any suggestions or comments?