Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runtime Error in iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply

tttran

tttran

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: Darth_Ash is Great! Thank you so much to your hint. after I removed "google toolbar" using Add/Remove Program, my Internet Explorer just go bak to work normally.

However, I'm wondering why it happened just today though, I had been using that 'Google ToolBar' ever since without any problem, and suddenly it cause me trouble this morning! That must be some lately fixpack I've applied.

Advertisements

paixao_apagado

paixao_apagado

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Helpful thread - my first time on this site. Thank you.

I have met the problem for the first time today. I have been using google toolbar for 2 or 3 years (possibly more) without any problems. No idea of version - didn't check before I uninstalled it.

Uninstalled toolbar and problem solved. So what kicked it off? Have I picked up some malware that has targetted it? All was fine this afternoon - and not this evening. I am suspicious that I have treated a symptom not the problem since nothing on my system changed between working and not working - at least, nothing that I am aware of.

bob-bob44

bob-bob44

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Following the thought that an add-on to IE could be the problem, I went a-huntin'.

Although AOL was not listed in the Add-Remove Programs untility, the folder existed. I explored it and ran the uninstall file. While in the area, I also removed all Yahoo add-ons except for the email attachment.

Rebooted, and everything works fine now.

tycapel

tycapel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I have had this problem for some time now, just found your sight, uninstalled Google toolbar and it worked!!! thank you so much.June north wales, silver surfer!!

hokapok1

hokapok1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As mentioned in another thread, I just experienced this problem last night and after finding this website today, I can't wait to get home and uninstall the toolbar. I, too, cannot understand why after all this time it would come into play...the main thing is I need access to the Internet to complete my on-line courses for my BA....keep your fingers crossed it works...thanks again for the info.... :tazz:

AndyDonaldson

AndyDonaldson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Been in and out of IE a lot today and suddenly started getting these "Runtime Error!" messages preventing IE starting.

Removed the Google toolbar as suggested and now all fine again.

Thanks for the solution - a life saver.

As others have said though - why now? What's changed? Haven't knowingly installed anything in the last few days - unless an MS critical patch was applied in the background when I wasn't looking. Now IE is working again maybe I'll check this out.

Thanks Again,

Andy :tazz:

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
OMG thank you soooooooooooo much!!! You saved me thousands of dollars!!! :tazz: :) :)

fivepetpalace

fivepetpalace

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same Error, uninstalled toolbar, reinstalled newer toolbar from google website.

All is good!

Thanks Geeks!

anifan

anifan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just had the same problem and visited this website so thanks for the help :tazz:

ursaluna

ursaluna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This fix worked for me also. I only started having problems after attempting to install Google Earth Plus. Anyone hear of similar problems?

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
WOW Darth....You have just become an instant celebrity over-night....Nice Work.

Incidently I've always had the google toolbar but never experienced any problems...Just lucky I guess.

greers

greers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem with IE6. It started right after I installed the latest update to MSN messenger. When I deleted the Google toolbar (thanks to this forum) a message came up to install the MSN messenger search toolbar, so obviously there was a conflict between the two toolbars. Perhaps the same is true with the Yahoo toolbar. I had written to MSN messenger tech support and even their response did not solve my problem; but now that it is fixed I wrote back to them to inform them of this issue. It remains to be seen whether they will rectify it or not. I was just livid that their software update caused me so much grief. I have also installed the Mozilla Firefox web browser which works just as well if not better than IE so I am no longer at the mercy of Microsoft. I highly recommend it. It actually starts out on the Google search page, and puts a Google search in its toolbar. I will only use IE explorer for Windows updates, and use Firefox for everything else.

Glennard

Glennard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Add me to the list: Been using the Google Toolbar since it came out on a well maintained WinXP-SP2 system. Error shows up at 2 p.m. on 9/2/05. Googled the error message (using Firefox from the same PC); found this thread; deleted the toolbar from Control Panel; now I'm back up and running (without even re-booting). No other PC's on my network have the problem. Gofigger.
I ~really~ liked the toolbar . . . I may re-install later . . . but not today!
THANK YOU!!!

geekygirl

geekygirl

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Had same problem on my GF's mother's PC. Was able to access the internet via my computer/windows update link. Googled (oh, the irony) the error and found this. To bad I did not think to look here first instead of wasting a lot of time.

Thanks so much.

gotcharm

gotcharm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's another option to solve the issue: I simply ran a System Restore in Windows XP and chose a date a few days earlier and the system came back up working fine. I did not have to uninstall the Google toolbar.
(Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore)

HOWEVER, this has happened several times over a period of several weeks, so I've ended up performing a few system restores. The restore resolution suggests that there is a registry conflict of some type. The fact that it keeps coming up even though I've installed nothing new during that time, and that everyone else seems to be running into the issue at the same time, suggests that there might be something out there on the internet causing this issue, possibly intentionally, that we do not know about yet.

On the other hand, knowing how important sequence, timing and various command set parameters are during the running of programs, it's entirely possible that the older toolbar program, or some other program that has to interact with it or around it, has something that it is out of sync with everything else. Maybe the newer version of the toolbar changes the timing parameters and solves the issue, or maybe the removal of the toolbar resolves the issue by accident (by not interfering with some other program). Only a thorough investigation will tell.

I am curious...how was it discovered that removing the Google toolbar solved the issue? Did you just start removing add-ons as a part of standard troubleshooting procedures? Or was there some indication of what was causing the issue?

UPDATE: Just after posting this message I attempted to find out which version of the toolbar I had. I looked everywhere within the program itself and eventually I tried the help file. As soon as I clicked on the help menu I received the exact same error we all received when trying to open Internet Explorer for the first time. It makes me think the help file attempts to access something that it can no longer access, possibly on the internet, and that it automatically attempts this access when the program is first executed, which is when IE opens.

I uninstalled the program and then downloaded and installed the latest toolbar, which I think is version 3, and there have been no problems since.

Edited by gotcharm, 17 September 2005 - 11:30 PM.