Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Put .iso file on hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I download a program called bootflash that copies a bootable .iso file in a way to a Usb so you can boot form it (kind of like burning it to a CD). The program is very restrictive and only lets you do it 4 times and also only lets you boot form the usb once. Is there a program like this one that dose the same thing but to a hard drive? (the program that I have dose not let you do this) The iso I have has linux on it an I can't work out how to get it to install :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Normally you would burn the .iso to a cd-rom or dvd, whichever it's designed for, and run it for installation. If you have the image of a hard disk in an .iso file you could burn it to a cd and use drive to drive copy software to copy the cd image to a hard drive.

What kind of .iso do you have, the installation disk or the drive image?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have a Live CD of Slax. The .iso that I am useing is a CD version and I got it to run form a USB useing the program, it used up now. I cant burn CDs so that is the reason that I am trying to do this. I can convert the .iso to an other format it that helps.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
There are programs out there that will allow you to setup a virtual drive on your computer. you can then load the iso into the cd. However you need to have an os installed in order to be able to do this so not sure if that would help or not as it is unclear to me as to what exactly you are trying to do. Your other option would be to invest in a burner..... you can get one on newegg for around 25$ us.

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello,
So you are saying that I can load a bootable image using Alcohol 120% in a virtual drive and then boot from it?
Does the BIOS recognise it?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
No. I can convet the .iso to a .img file and I was thinking that this might be easyer file type to work with.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Another option. there are sites out there that sell the iso on cdr's they usually are only a couple of bucks. That would be the most pain free way to do it. ( tuxcds.com use to do this not sure if they are still around but there are others. )

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The one that I was interested does not offer that so maby I will have to get a related version. Thanks for all your help I will do that or get the stuf to burn the CDs

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

The one that I was interested does not offer that so maby I will have to get a related version.  Thanks for all your help I will do that or get the stuf to burn the CDs

View Post

Just looked around a little and found this site.

http://www.elucis.co...&sort=2a&page=2

they seem to have what you are after so if you haven't found another way to get it they might be an option