Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp repair help sought

• Please log in to reply

markshgate

markshgate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have xp, SP1, on my laptop, a Compaq NX 9005, which has gone into a loop, and does not function at all.

HP is recommending re-installation, which will delete all my data.

I have taken my laptop to a local shop, and they have copied the information onto 2 cd's.

Before re-installing I want to try to repair, but HP appear not to be willing or able to help, although they supplied the software.

I have tried to repair using the installation cd, and it asks which windows installation would you like to log into. No information or advice as to the answers has been provided, but I have tried 1, and I am then asked for an administrators password, which I do not have.

At this point I contacted HP, who seemed unable to help except as above.

Any ideas how I might proceed to repair?

Is HP being reasonable in not offering to assist to repair on software they provided?

Regards

Andy

Advertisements