Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Very Slow (Intenet Connection)

• Please log in to reply

bmejia14

bmejia14

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, my computer has been having issues with a slow internet connection for the past couple of weeks and I cannot figure out why. I originally started out on the Malware board and Excal took me step-by-step through the removal processes and we could not find anything significant. I am no wondering if it's a OS or hardware problem.
I have a 6 month old HP Pavillion dv 1000 with all factory original hardware. I work on an XP Operating System. I initially thought the issue may have been with my ISP (cable modem thru Adelphia) or my home wireless network (Microsoft Broadband network) but my other wireless laptop (2yr old Dell Inspiron) works just fine. I have tested them side-by-side downloading the exact same files. The speeds aren't even comparable. This computer downloads at speeds of 10-80 kb/sec where as my older laptop downloads at speeds of 500-1000 kb/sec.
My computer is still very usable, but something is not quite right. I would like to know if there are any checks or tests I could perform to see if the software and hardware are working correctly.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you limit ran out?

e.g Im on a 3 gig plain, then after I use my 3 gig then my speed from 320.00 get droped to 64kbps

bmejia14

bmejia14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's nothing like that. My other computers download just as fast as ever.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Oh ok, sorry just that i though that might be the case

bmejia14

bmejia14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
TTT