Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet 57xx driver fault?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I wonder if anyone can shed a light on this little problem,

I have recently recieved 20 Dell Optiplex GX280 machine with which to teach my students.
Lesson plans dictate that I must show the students how to install Ethernet card drivers using the "Have Disk" method via the Hardware Manager.

My problem is that when I carry out this method, when selecting the .inf file instead of being presented with a list of ethernet cards to choose from the box is blank.

If I install the full setup file (15MB) from the Dell support website first and then try the "Have Disk" method then I am presented with the list of X amount of cards to choose from.

I would like to get the specific drivers onto a floppy (ie the .inf, .sys and the other one (cant remember its extension)) but still be able to see the list in the "Have Disk" dialogue box.

Anyone got any idea what file holds the info regarding that list of devices?

If I'm not really that clear in this post please email me and I can elaborate further.

Many thanks

Jon B

address removed before the spambots find it ~~ Metallica ~~

Edited by Metallica, 09 August 2005 - 07:42 AM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
i hate to say it...but i'd almost suggest calling dell and asking for the files specifically...if my memory serves me correctly...when downloading the ethernet drivers from dell..it comes in a self extractor that kind of auto installs once it extracts...kinda makes it hard to pinpoint the drivers but...i believe it extracts to it's own folder under dell/drivers or something like that...