Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP firewall vs McAfee firewall

• Please log in to reply

baconbits

baconbits

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a new laptop using wireless home networking (through a very secure server). I've installed McAfee Virus protector, McAfee firewall, and McAfee privacy guard. Should my winxp firewall be disabled? and the McAfee firwall enabled?

After running a check, Spybot S&D keeps warning me that I've changed the registry setting for winxp firewall and virus protection. I want my laptop as secure as possible as I am doing all of my finances on it.

Thank you,
baconbits

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
If you are using windows XP, it is suggested to use ONE firewall

baconbits

baconbits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Which firewall is best to use?

If it's not McAfee, should I uninstall McAfee's firewall?

Thanks again,

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
To be honest, Im getting all ma mates and family to do a firewall test with there firewalls, so far Zone alarm and Windows Firewall steath your ports etc.

But its what ever your comfortable with aye.

have you used McAfee's firewall before?

baconbits

baconbits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I haven't used McAfee firewall before. I stuck with my server's firewall and the winxp. I installed McAfee firewall because it came with my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop.

I've used McAfee virus protector for upteen years (I used Norton Disk Doctor back in the DOS days, but feel Norton and McAfee are pretty much equal these days. Just depends on one's preference.)

I've had my home networked for 5-6 years with desktops only. Now that I've gotten a laptop I'm going wireless, and the security issues are new to me.

I've heard that installing any firewall ontop of the winxp firewall could negate them both. If that's the case, is it better to totally uninstall the McAfee firewall and let winxp do it all?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Oh ok, I use Zone Alarm firewall and having that stealthing my computer, and AVG for my anti-virus.