Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows 98 crashing

• Please log in to reply

helpme5

helpme5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After working on the computer for 15 to 20 minutes, my computer crashes. It makes no difference what I am doing. After it crashes, I have to wait at least 30 minutes before it will startup at all. I am dial-up so I usually cannot download anything completely before it crashes. I have run Norton virus check and it says that there are no viruses. I would like to run other virus/spybot scans, but am unable to download them in my limited time. The task lists does not show any unusual programs. I did do a registry fix, then after it crashed several times, it reloaded an old registry. Please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

helpme5

helpme5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It says it cannot find the file. I am running windows 98.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This may simply be a temp problem. Open up the case and check to see all the fans are running. Also if you can get some compressed air (local computer store), blow out all the dust from the fans, and everywhere else... especially around the CPU.

helplessguy

helplessguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Helpme5,
I am also experiencing a same type of problem which I have posted under the title "Windows freezes frequently". I think 'Makai' is right that it may be a simple temperature problem relating to hardware rather than software. Because for the same type of problem, I had formatted my 'C' drive and reinstalled Windows 98. But the problems still exists. I have done system check by scandisk for hard drive bad sector, Norton Anti-virus-2003 and AVG 7.30 for viruses, Spybot S&D 1.4 for spywares and trozans and hijack this for other problems but could not find any problems. You may try these software for system checking. But the prolem may be some voltage and/or temperature fluctuation in the mother board. Check it with a freeware like motherboard monitor. You can take the help of a system mechanic for servicing of your CPU if you are using a desktop.

Helplessguy