Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows ME lockup ->Linksys router

• Please log in to reply

mike96019

mike96019

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just purchased a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have a laptop with Windows XP which is working fine with it. The problem I'm having is with our Desktop, which is hard-wired into the router. The OS for the desktop is ME. The desktop will access the internet for 10-15 minutes, and then locks up. When I control + alt + del it tells me Explorer is not responding. Machine freezes up and is not able to do anything. Must disconnect router from desktop and re-boot. After re-booting I can re-connect router to desktop and go online no problems for another 10-15 minutes then same problem happens.
Linksys tech support told me to lower MTU's (which were originally 1500) by 8 digits until problem goes away. Does this sound like the right thing to do?
Has anyone else heard of this problem? Solution?
Thanks

Advertisements

JuanPa2005

JuanPa2005

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Mike,

Almost identical symptoms. Windows ME has been stable for years running Nortons Internet Security 2004 and I bought a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. Then all [bleep] broke loose.

Installation did not complete. Called Comcast and they checked my IP config and in 20 minutes were done with me - not their problem, call Linksys.

Called Linksys twice and recieved a crash course on Networking. Windows ME connected to ethernet port #2 has NEVER worked consistently; this has been on-going for 6 wks and their ultimate solution was to re-format and re-install ME!

Probelm I have is the same: IE works for 5 minutes then freezes Explorer, IE and most times the BSOD. And thats a good experience as most times I click on the IE icon and NOTHING happens. Problem is always resolved with disconnecting the ethernet connection from the computer (not just the router) and re-booting ME.

Queer thing about all this is I can receive Outlook Express mail and I can ping yahoo on this computer. And the router wireless capability works fine with my Toshiba Pocket PC and my Dell Latitude Win 2000 machine; I can even connect the Win 2000 machine with the same ethernet cable and port and it works!

Nothing I have tried has fixed this problem and I can tell you what Iv'e done:

Uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2005 (came with the Linksys Installation CD) and ME was much more stable but still no joy). Uninstalled Nortons and ran the Symantec tool to ensure it was completely removed.

Ran SpyBot, AVG, Window Wash, Ad Aware and cleaned the computer. Still no joy. Dropped back to IE 5.5 (in case I received a bad patch).

What keeps ringing in my head is the Linksys claim that it is compatible with ME. From what I can see, I don't believe it is.

If there is anything you can suggest or if I can provide anymore details, send me a message!

JuanPa

mike96019

mike96019

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Yep - I can suggest something, but you may not like the answer.

I gave up. Upgraded the machine with ME to Windows XP. Now it works like a charm. Absolutely no problems at all with the Linksys & XP.

Not the flashiest of solutions.... but it worked.

Good luck