Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVIDIA 6200OC Instalation

• Please log in to reply

Ryan2025

Ryan2025

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so here is the deal. I bought a GeForce 6200 OC AGP 256mb card at Best Buy the other day. I am pretty computer savvy; I opened the computer, inserted the card into my AGP slot, reconnected and turned on the computer. When I ran the installation CD for the Drivers it said, “"the nVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit". I saw a similar issue in a previous posting, dealing with a Toshiba Laptop.
I have a HP Pavilion a330n desktop.
I ran Everest and got this:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor at 2.16 GHz, and 512 of Ram.
Motherboards name is: Asus A7N8x-LA
Chip Set: North Bridge: nVIDIA nForce 2 IGP (crush18)
South Bridge: nVIDIA MCP2
Video Card:(reads 6200 AGP) But previously, it was a nVIDIA GeForce4.
In EVEREST, there are blue and yellow X’s by Direct X 9.0, video accelerator (which reads 6200 AGP)

In EVEREST it says I have a 3.0 AGP slot (GeForce 6200 OC needs a 2.0 or higher.) It also says that the AGP is disabled. I uninstalled the nVIDIA drivers that were on the computer before this, but the install of the new drivers wont work. Because i uninstalled the other drivers, i have also lost my sound. I need this 6200OC to work, or i need to get back to my original drivers. My question then is how I get the AGP card to work, because the both CD install and the Download from nVIDIA didn’t work. I need help soon, the time in which I can return this to get money back or another card is running out. Thanks. ~Ryan2025~

Edited by Ryan2025, 09 August 2005 - 12:32 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Firstly I just want you to quickly check a few of your bios settings. These settings are based on the ASUS A7N-8X-E but I am assuming they should be more or less the same for your mobo :

AGP Frequency - set this to AUTO
AGP 8X Support - enabled
Primary VGA Bios - AGP VGA

To be honest, given that you said you uninstalled some drivers & as a result, lost your sound as well, suggests that you have either uninstalled too many drivers (including possibly the AGP controller) or you have damaged the directx installation.

Can you go into device manager and look under the Display Adapters heading - tell me exactly what is listed there & if there are any yellow exclaimation marks or red crosses.
Next look through the rest of device manager - if you see any other yellow exclaimation marks/red crosses, let me know the name of the devices that have them.

Ryan2025

Ryan2025

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did uninstal too many drivers. My fix was i had to go to hp and download the original drivers for my a330n. After reinstalling them, i got my sound back. In the BIOS, i have to select PCI or AGP/Onboard. The instructions tell you to uninstall the previous drivers, but because i was running a previous version of a GeForce card, i shouldn't have uninstalled it. Once i reinstalled the original drivers, i updated the them with the nVIDIA download. I then reinsalled the card, updated again, and it works. Sorry for any of your time i wasted. I went to bed last night and hardly got any sleep, i was thingking about ways to fix this. I finally figgured it out. So, just a note, if anyone else is upgradeing from a previous GeForce card to a new GeForce card, they don't need to uninstall the previous driver, rather they need to update it. Again, thanks for your time. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome, I'm glad you've managed to get it all working :tazz: