Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some motherboard questions

• Please log in to reply

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK, I just got my case and motherboard and already I have alot of questions.

1. In my case there are holes that say ATX next to them and holes that say micro-ATX, I screwed in the mounters to match my ATX motherboard but some of the ATX holes are still open. I know I shouldn't, but is there a reason to screw in mounters for holes I'm not going to use? Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Did I set this up correctly, are these the mounting things I should be using? Also, there is one under the RAM arm, should i screw that in after I put the RAM in, or beforehand?

2. In the manual it gives you directions on how to set up the heatsink retention bracket, yet it looks like it's already on the board, do I need to do anything with it? Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see the bracket on the board here: Motherboard

3. What the heck is this thing?? It looks like a heat sensor...where do I plug this?Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the "RSFR TUBE 125[degrees]C"

4. In order to set up my SATA drivers, it looks as though I'm going to need a floppy drive. I'm using an old one from an old computer, is it really neccisary to have a floppy when setting up SATA. Notice the drive in my 3.5 bays:

Posted Image

5. I got a lot of screws, should I use the big ones on the corners of the mobo and the small ones in the middle?? Will they even keep it in place? I also have rounded ones and octagon ones, does it make a difference? Pic:

Posted Image

6. Lastly, with that retention plate sticking out on the bottom, will these mounters lift up the mobo enough so I dont short it out? They look kind of short:

Posted Image

Thanks for all the help! I'll probably sort this all out once I have my other components, these are pretty obvious questions :tazz:

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 10:17 AM.

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
[Deleted]

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 10:19 AM.

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry to triple post, but I wanted to get it back up there after I got the pictures working. :tazz:

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 10:20 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first, nice case (good pics too)

only put the mounter's in places where you will be using them since if one is in a place that makes contact with the board it may cause it to ground out

it looks like they already set up your heatsink retention bracket so i wouldnt worry about it.

the rogue plug doesnt look like a heat sensor...it looks (sorry too much shiny on that pic) like the original plug (next to the shrink wrap, the temp on that is probably how warm it has to get to shrink..maybe) was similar to the power plug for a floppy and the thing connected to it is a standard looking molex plug (from these angles) not sure what it plugs into...but if that plug isn't mentioned in the manual...it doesn't hurt to have one left over

i don't have experience with SATA so ill pass on that one...though through the forum it seems that most people end up needing a floppy to load the drivers

as far as the screws are concerned...the two larger hexagonal ones on the right side of the pic look like those used to hold expansion cards in (pci, agp, Nic, etc..) as far as the rest of them...your guess is as good as mine.....though you should have at least 6 screws that are exactly the same for mounting the MOBO to the case....in all the machine's ive bought and built these screws had some form of plastic washer on them to stop grounding issues..

without proper measurements there is no way to answer the last question

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right i think i can help you have the same mobo as me there.
1. Right those are all the holes you need you screw in the holes that match the mobo no more no less. So you have that done allready.
2. The bracket is allready on for you, confused me a bit for a second as i was expecting it seperatley but its allready on thats good.
3. That will be power for your front fan i think with a fan power to molex converter you can take off that convrter and if you look on the mobo there will be system fan bit that should fit in top right of the cpu socket, or leave it and just connect to the psu with the coincidentally similar shaped plugs which plug into it.
4. Yes you need the floppy drive and it is something you should still have in a computer it is asking for trouble not to have one in the first place and for the ridiculously low price they are even in loads of colours and finishes you should have one.
5. for the mobo you use the philips headed ones. The fine thread i thinkis there proper name i just remeber them as they are the mobo screws, they are the only ones that fit it in the spacers so it doesnt matter.
6.The spacers are fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We brief outline of the screws the way i seem to understand it.
Fine thread philips head for the mobo.
coarse thread philps head for the drives. Also the pci slots bit they are allready screwed in or should be so you dont need any more.
philips head (medium thread i think) octaganal head screws are for your power supply at least i use them for the power supply.
And usually thumbscrews for the case doors.
But all but the first question on the holes is covered in the mobo manual. You need any help just post it up ir pm me and i am happy to help.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 August 2005 - 10:59 AM.

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the reply(s)!

Do I need to connect that fan adapter thing at all?
I don't have a fan in the front of my case.

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 11:17 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really, well is it a molex plug on the end( fits in the ones from the PSU) you shouldnt have it if you dont have a fan there of some sorts, or maybe if you have a lcd screen or something in the case that needs power.

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It only has two pins in the molex socket.

I'm just scared of plugging a 4-pin molex connecter into a two pin device.

And yes, I think that 125 was an indication of the shrinktube temp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you plug a two pin adapter into a 4 pin plug...then only 2 pins will get juice....there fore you have no real issue....it's designed for the purpose of giving you more fan plugs on the mobo if you want an uber cool system or at least...uber loud with all those fans

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The shrinktube thing I'm talking about was attached to the case though.

I couldn't really attach the other end to something :tazz: .

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 12:00 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is that wire coming out of the front of the computer? like with the power switch cables and what not?

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yeah exactly, it's coming out of the case.

Hey! I just went to get the door and it was the rest of my stuff!
(except my Antec PSU, which should come tommorow)

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 12:20 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if that cable is coming from the front of the case...then the case may have a front fan

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
But it doesn't that's the wierd part, whatever.