Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some motherboard questions

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whrere is the other end, surely they havent routed the rear fan all the way to the front of the case.

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No, the rear fan has it's own 3-pin.

I think I have a theory, it could be to power "USB powered" devices?

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 09 August 2005 - 02:17 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No they are powered via the usb hub. What does the case manual say it is.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 August 2005 - 04:10 PM.

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I checked the manual and I can't even find it on the parts list...but I have bigger things to worry about.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What pc wise or other, it it is pc worries just post em up and we will endeavour to help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Remeber to bend out all the ports on the backplate you need so it will fit in the case properly.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I can help you out on the sata setup its quite easy.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have alot of experience with building pc's, this stuff is the easiest thing in the world seriously.

I have a serial ATA 10,000 rpm Raptor harddrive with a DFI lanparty pro Motherboard with onchip by intel. Some things might have different names in your bios but, it will be close enough to figure it out on your own.

To setup a Serial ata go into your bios and look for an option called integrated peripherals.

Look for something like onchip IDE Device and hit enter

in that screen look and find ***On-Chip Serial ATA Settings***

for on chip serial ata put it on auto mode and save the bios settings

Your computer will restart and see if your harddrive is recognized, if its too fast go into the bios again after you restart the pc by hitting delete key rapidly.

Go into standard Cmos Features

The IDE channel 0 Master should show a harddrive recognized to the right. (make shure harddrive is on master 0)

now go into advanced Bios Features

Look for Harddisk boot priority

Make shure your harddrive is set to the number one slot(has to be first)

if you have 2 harddrives put the harddrive you want the operating system to be on the first space(#1) slot.

save your settings (F10)

Your now done

Load windows

I didnt have to use any kind of floppy up to this point to install my sata harddrive.

After you load windows and it keeps on asking you for a driver for the harddrive then proceed to using your floppy that came with your motherboard.

:) Wasnt that difficult was it lol? :tazz: ;)

lmao what did i tell you, easy stuff....

Edited by jrm20, 10 August 2005 - 02:32 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Older motherboarsd are a real pain to load sata on so you seem to have only had easy installs some set ups its just not possible to get them running the way people want there system. But ut is easy on his motherboard easier than you explianed its a plug in and away you go job if you use the nvidia sata controller and not the silicon image. Im sure the silicon image is just as easy as well. Load all the drivers when you load windows though i noticed my pc runs better second time i installed windows with both the nvidia ones and the silicon image ones.

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yeah, my motherboard is actually the Neo4-F version and doesn't have SATAII support, but on the motherboard there are 4 SATA connectors. The wierd thing is that they are in a downward order of SATA-2 SATA-1 SATA-3 SATA-4 as silkscreened. Should I use the first one (2), or the second one (1). I also can't tell which one is controlled by the nvidia and which one is controlled by the silicon image. Does the port you use matter?

I'm postin a pic of my I/O shield in a sec, i have a question.

Advertisements

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Posted Image

Ok, notice all those little inward-bending pieces of metal on the edge of all the ports? Should I cut those off, bend them outward, or do anything with them at all?

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
How much performance increase did you see when installing both drivers??
Am I going to have a crappy system unless I do that? And are you talking about installing both driver sets within windows, or using both drivers when installing windows?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
NO, dont cut those metal prongs. They will line up with the ports on the motherboard after you seat the mobo on the spacers, push back towards the i/o shield gently and put the screws in the holes. Remember ESD, Electro static Discharge. Keep your body grounded somehow to the case.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those metal prongs are a pain they are a little to stiff but you leave them maybe just push them fordward a little to let you seat the motherboard correctly. The SATA ports the nvidia ones are the purple ones that are in a line not the four clustered together, im not sure if it has improved my system performance dramitically it has just seemes alot smoother to get it all up and going the second time round after installing both drivers its hardly really a hardship and will make it easier to install new drives later.
I have my drive in the sata 2 i just did it wothout thinking. Its made no difference, the platinum version of the board is near idiot proof so i expect the plain version is just the same.