Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the dopiest thing you've done?

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
At least you still have the leg/foot to show the scar!

:)

Edited by Fenor, 25 September 2008 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
True...true :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay BHowett, my turn again...

This was back when I was really young, about 6 or 7 and we were playing around in my neighbor's dad's truck bed. It was the game where someone was 'IT' and whatever they said you couldn't touch on the truck, everyone else couldn't touch. Well it started it out pretty tame. Don't touch the back window, don't touch the wheel well, etc... But then it got to the point where she said you can't touch the floor of the truck bed. Well being that I was only 6 or 7, my agility wasn't the best (still isn't even now but that's not the point! :) ) I preceded to lose my balance and fall over the side onto the concrete. I was at least smart enough to protect my head by putting my arm out first. While my head was fine, I did break the radius and ulna (the two bones in the forearm for those that don't know) each in two places and had a cast that went from my hand to the top of my shoulder for 6 months.

Edited by Fenor, 25 September 2008 - 01:33 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, I think you all are just proving the quote "Ignorance should be painful". :)

Okay, one day I tried to steam a wrinkle out of a skirt - while I was wearing it. The clothes steamer had 4 holes that would release the steam - I ended up with 4 round burns on my leg, which left an interesting scar for a long time.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Ha ha … one time while riding a friend in my bike he was scared to ride on the pegs so he rode on the bar between the seat and the handlebars, and you guessed it his foot got caught in the front wheel spokes so the bike flipped over causing me to hit my head and get knocked out….. I had such a big bump on the side of my head my mother almost fainted

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
This could go on for pages and pages and pages, and that's with just my stuff! :)

And sari, ignorance is a learning experience for most, since all the stupid things I've done, I've only ever done them once! :)

........lol nice BH. Guess it's my turn again...

Again when I was younger, around 10-ish this time, we had a swing-set in our backyard that had a piece of rope hanging down that was attached to an old tire that we obviously used to swing in. Well my neighbor was swinging in it and I though it would be cool to jump on it while she was swinging. Needless to say, I jumped in and then was flown backwards over the bushes to the side and landed on my butt. Wind got knocked out of me and my 'butt bone' hurt for a very long time...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ouch!! :)

hmm....I'm trying to think of something else...Well, I'm a pretty klutzy person in general, so I'm rather entertaining to be around most of the time... Tripping over anything and everything that's within 10 feet of my legs...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Oh, haha, thought of something... Several years ago, I went to a local skateboard park - with my roller blades. I knew (and still know) nothing about skateboarding. Lets just say that I had the wind knocked out of me several times after trying to go over the jumps :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
ha ha this is to much fun ... my turn again

When I was in the Marines we were doing a demonstration on how we (Force Recon) repel out of a helicopter so there were about 20+ young Marines and Officers there watching. It was a simple task probably about 50’ off the ground, and I have done it hundreds of times. Well I tried to be cool… I tried to jump out of the chopper and onto the skid (instead of just stepping down) to start my repel, well I missed and slipped off. I ended up tangled in the repel line hanging upside down and of course my weapon, cell phone, change, and everything else in my pockets fell to the ground …. Oh it was a treat for the on looking Marines, of all the times; it had to happen when everyone was looking. :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

ha ha this is to much fun ... my turn again

:) Guess I'm not the only one glad I bumped this thread :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I like showing some of my fallacies on here. Makes me appear like a dolt, so when I give actual good advice on the forums ( :) ) people are so stunned that they have to follow it out of principle. :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is kind of dopey.
When I was 16 I had a shot gun blow up on me. (still have scars)
My father wanted me to "get back on the horse" so he wanted me to shoot his Browning high power.
Now this rifle has (had) a scope, but I thought that if I put my cheek on the stock it would hurt...
So when I fired the @#%$ thing the scope came up and hit my forehead.
This left a nice cut that blead real bad, but was not bad.
I thought that I had blown the top of my head off!
I was confused, bleeding, and scared. My father laughed at me.
Third time is the charm...I do not own a gun now.

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
In response to "dopey" things...

A few weeks ago I went downtown to see if I could get somebody to weld a piece onto my Jeep Commanche. The [bleep] door jamb lock fell apart and I was using a bungee cord to secure the door. (a really STRONG bungee cord)

I didn't realize it was a holiday and some things weren't open so the trip into town appeared pointless. To account for the gas I figured I'd stop and get my car serviced and washed. My wife doesn't mind the door flying open as much as she does the inch and a half of crusty mud caked on the fenders. I washed it last year but it's almost like she expects me to do it regularly, like every six months or so. When I pulled up and gave it to the service guy he just looked at it with a curl in his lip and asked me if I'd be running it through the wash after the oil change.
"I just washed it last August but I guess I can do it." I said.
The look on his face was priceless.

After the oil change I pulled the truck mirrors in and the guy directed me into the automatic wash thingy.

"You sure you want to take it through?"
"Yup. The wife won't ride in it and the mud is affecting my gas mileage. Let 'er rip".

He went over and pushed some buttons and off I went.

Well, I'm gonna say right at the outset that it isn't a real good idea to go through a car wash in a vehicle using a bungee cord to keep the door closed.

I stopped and put the brake on just like the deep 'diety-like' voice directed me to and then the monster began whirling its arms and coming to surround the cab. It passed by from front to back just fine but on the return trip it snagged the mirror. This wouldn't be a big thing…normally. But in this case the pressure on the mirror opened the door and I was drenched with about five thousand gallons of foamy water. The only thing I could think of to do was to roll the window down and see if I could rescue the mirror from the death grip of the sadistic machine without getting hurt. Right when I did, the door released and flung back closed, launching my entire mirror assembly somewhere into the machines innards, never to be heard from again. By the time I recovered enough to roll the window up the soap was beginning to sting my eyes so I just rolled the [bleep] thing down and went through the rinse cycle. :)

The sound of the mirror launching caught their attention so I had two employees standing at the off ramp. I left my window down and rolled by them looking like a drowned swamp-rat.

"Thanks guys. See ya in 3000 miles".

And I drove off.

Some things don't require explanation. :)

Norm

http://www.normsnote...r.blogspot.com/

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
normonster, your story is soooo funny ... I literally have tears in my eyes and nearly wet my pants reading that!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:)