Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FreeCell and quicklaunch problems

• Please log in to reply

dalehens

dalehens

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I am working on a friend's computer running Windows98 2ndEd on which Freecell quit working. It would open and load 5 cards on the top row and quit. I tried removing and reinstalling Games with Windows Setup but it didn't change anything. Then I cleaned the registry with FixIt. It now loads all of the cards except for the last 5 and the hour glass stays in view. But it has developed a new problem in that quick launch requires two clicks to open anything. I suspect that this is a result of cleaning the registry but I have used FixIt before with no problems.

Any ideas on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated?

Bill Henson

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a couple of things, boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD.

Running these checks the registry and files for Windows are in place.

dalehens

dalehens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith,

I want to thank you for your help.

I apologize :tazz: for responding so late. My friend was unable to follow the instructions and I just got around to doing it myself. Everything works now except freeCell. it appears to be fully loaded but the hour glass does not go away and so the game cannot be played. Is there anything else I can do?

Quick launch works fine now.

Edited by dalehens, 18 August 2005 - 01:36 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It seems to me there where periodic problems with freecell on that os but it's been a long time so not sure what exactly needed to be done....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Dalehens,

Check you can get Freecell from Windows Update, as part of games in optional updates, if it is, you could go to add / remove, remove Freecell and then download it from Windows Update

Keith

dalehens

dalehens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Dalehens,

Check you can get Freecell from Windows Update, as part of games in optional updates, if it is, you could go to add / remove, remove Freecell and then download it from Windows Update

Keith

O.K. I will give it a try. I have tried it with the original Windows disk using Windows Setup but have not tried it as an update.

Thank you