Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove XP and replace with 98

• Please log in to reply

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK GUYS
I HAVE A BOX THAT WAS GIVEN ME SANS DISKS.

I have disks for Windows 98 and would like to run 98 on this box

I know how to fromat the disk but can I kust slip the 98 sisk in after the format and install it or do I need to take some other measures

This copy of XP is corrupted. Would creating a bott disc before I format be useful?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Nope.. Once you have fdisked to remove XP and re-partitioned and formatted the hard-drive, you can just pop in the Win98 cd and install away..

You may need to take a few extra steps in order to get rid of the XP partition but all the tools needed will be on a Win98SE boot floppy..

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look here

http://support.micro...B;en-us;q303661

Edited by Keith, 09 August 2005 - 11:03 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Psssst Keith:

That Microsoft page only works if they "upgraded" from another os to XP.. :tazz:

"This article describes how to remove Microsoft Windows XP after an upgrade was completed successfully by using a qualifying upgrade path, including the successful creation of the Windows XP removal files (such as Backup.cab and Boot.cab) during the initial upgrade."

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Murray,

You should have seen the pre-edited reply, would have sailed in to the Darwin Awards.

Just wondered why the 98 install was questioned as if you format then you can put anything on

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok now thay let me expound.
!st I have no idea if uninstall backup is still valid since files have been removerd
(not by me, I may be a bit backward but not that backward) secondly I assume FDisk is a command similar to Format C:\s
Secondly what will happen to the hard drive if the backup files are missing
(as in uninstall files)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Absolutely nothing.. Fdisk is the DOS partitioning program and will have to be run to remove XP before you can even format the hdd to install Win98..

Murray

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK the PC won't respond to FDISK or a dos command to format c: /S

says it is not an executable file or some such in both cases

How can I salvage the disk without having a boot or system disk?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the self-extrating file for a Win98SE bootfloppy..

Now, put a clean formatted floppy in the floppy drive and double click the downloaded file to extract the necessary files to the floppy..

Now try that one.. Oh ya.. The first boot device for the disabled system IS the floppy drive right??

Murray

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can get to bios only using an old windows 98 universal that came with my Gateway system
but this box is a dell
And to be honest Im not expert LOL
I can make my gateway walk and talk this one leaves me sooooo frustrated
By the way thanks to those that have put up with my issue

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You don't use any disk to get to BIOS..

Murray

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Wrong Syntax Sorry
Ok let me try this, I am familiar with Windowes 98

Anything beyond that places me on the starship enterprise.

Now using Run then CMD then entering a command string does not accomplish anything but get me incorrect input messages. :)
Now can you tell me what I need to do to get to a place where I can take the program the rest of the way to full blown altzheimers so I can put 98 on it and return to my previous level of bliss.
I understand 98 is old terchnology, but you are dealing with an old dinosaur here.
:tazz:

I will give all of my credit card bills and my first male great grandchild to the person who succeds in helping me to get rid of XP so I can go back to ther olden days after 95 and before 2000
;)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
To get into Bios, boot the computer and repeatedly hit the delete, F1, or F10 key. Once you get to the bios screen, look for an entry where you can change the boot order... change this to boot from the floppy first. Save and exit the bios... but put the Win98 start disk into the floppy drive before you exit bios.

The computer will restart and boot from the floppy. Once the floppy boots, you will be sitting at the a: prompt.

Type fdisk and confirm large disk support. In the fdisk screen delete any partitions you want. Then create any you want, and just follow the prompts to move you along.

You will be told to reboot to save partition information. Do so, and the computer will once again bring you to the a: prompt.

Once there, type in format c: /s to format the c: partition. Confirm yes to all prompts and the formatting will commence.

Once formatting is done, you will be returned to the a: prompt. Restart your computer, and again boot to the floppy. You will then be brought to the a: prompt... (take note of the CD drive letters as the computer boots.)

At the a: prompt, type in the CD drive letter, followed by a colon... ie, D: ... then hit enter. You will then be sent to the D: prompt.

Once there, type in Setup and win98 will begin it's setup routine... just follow along with the prompts.

Edited by makai, 10 August 2005 - 07:35 PM.

Joe Pafume

Joe Pafume

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok now I really have a problem :tazz:
I got the disk formatted
using my gateway disk
I can get to the setup program but it keeps trying to install Windows 95.
I have that disk but its OEM and I lost the OEM numbers to it
It came with another PC which I no longer have
I will try F2 without the startup disk, but if it repeats I will not be able to type setup without recieving an error statement
But the good news is that I am getting smarter LOL
And appreciating each of ya'alls input.
And can add Makai to the list of people I shall remain indebted too

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Without the Key/Product code, that cd is useless to you..

Murray