Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

gilligan128

gilligan128

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Dell computer that is running WIndows 2000. It only has one problem: I cannot boot into safe mode. Whenever I try, I get a BSOD that says either PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA or IRQL_NOT_GREAT_OR_EQUAL. I have researched this problem extensively, but I cannot find the problem, either in the software or hardware. Any helpyou can offer I would greatly appreciate.

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello there!

The problem could lie in your RAM. here is a link to the Windows memory Diagnostic Tool which tests your RAM for errors or damage.

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Hope this can help you out. :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
try looking here, at the top of this forum:

Pinned: Windows XP Blue Screen of Death STOP Codes
A list of most BSoD errors and solutions

gilligan128

gilligan128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did. However, two separate BSODs under the sma conditions is different, since the problem is not Error-specific. Most likely its a hardware problem, but I am prettyr sure it is not in the RAM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried repair installation of windows? I think it is worthwhile because it will help to determine whether the problem is of a software or hardware origin. My feeling is that you have some corrupted windows files which relate to safe mode booting. If this is the case then re-installation could solve the problem.