Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony Error code meaning

• Please log in to reply

ronholland

ronholland

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all.
Can you tell me what sony error code 4 means?
I've got a 3 yr old sony laptop PCG R505DSP. Has always been a great machinel. I was using it last week in my car with a gps module attached (not a new thing), but it was night, and my wifes purse was next to it, the handles hitting the keyboard occasionally I think making it reboot... I wasn't sure why at the time. Finaly on reboot came up 'no operating system found'
I checked bios the next day and my c drive is recognized, I can reboot with an old game card, but states c drive not found.
This laptop is the one inch thick kind, with a docking station that has A drive and a cd/dvd built in. I broke one of the latches that helps undock about 2 years ago, and it causes the cd rom not to read sometimes, and other times it works just fine.
I put in the restore disks, and rebooted the machine and they took. The machine started to partition itself, when an error code came up: 'cannot continue error 4'
I bought a new hard drive, got the 3 disks installed completely, rebooted the machine and a blue screen of death came up. Ran the restore disks again and it started to install when the 'cannot continue error 4' came up again.
Throughout, the C drive is present in bios.
Anyone know what error 4 is in this situation? I did remove the upgraded ram, and put the computers configuration back to purchase state and did the ablove again with the same results. I can't find info by sony anywhere on the net (and Sony wants a credit card number first)
I'm thinking about buying a new docking station off of ebay, I feel the cd rom may be my problem, but it took all 3 disks on the new hard drive....
If anyone knows or even thinks they know, please email me a reply, and post it here
Regards,
Ron Holland

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I suspect this is Sony specific and you probably need to ask them. I went to http://esupport.sony...CGR505DSP&LOC=3

and found http://esupport.sony...5DSP&news_id=46
There is a link on the upper left that says "contact Sony support". I clicked on that and it takes me to a page with email, live chat and web links, and phone numbers for support. I would send a question to them by email or even live chat. This would be the best place to start.

Good luck :tazz:

ronholland

ronholland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tips. I have done both already, the live chat and an eMail. Neither person had access to the error codes, but suspect it may be my docking station, or a motherboard... which will cost 800 plus to replace. I'm going to buy a docking station off of eBay, then re sell it if that is not the problem.
I'll have a laptop to sell for parts if the docking station doesn't do the trick :tazz:
Regards,
Ron

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
That is a shame, Sony does not know what their own beep codes mean? Seems like they should be able to find out since they built the thing. Oh well....not much else can be done I suppose?