Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how good is 6600 GT sli

• Please log in to reply

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i am currently using single slot 6600GT and my motherboard could support SLI. i wonder is it worth for me to add on another 6600GT. can the performance compare to x800 or 6800GT?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nope and you could waste both the new 6600GT and the old one buy trying to couple a new 6600GT with yuor old one. If you do try sli it will mean getting the exact same make and model and then flashing them to matching bios versions which is dangerous.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ermm, i dont quite get what u are trying to explain to me but for more detail i am using GA-K8NXP-SLI mother board with one MSI NX6600GT-TD128 http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=672 . From gigabyte site, i found out that if i add in another MSI NX6600GT-TD128 i could increase my graphic card performance by 86%
http://tw.giga-byte....722_sli.htm#sli so i wonder if it could be compared to other ati graphic performance like 9800, x800 or nvdia 7800 GT.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Basically, he's saying that to run the two cards together, you need to have the exact same make, model, and prefferably from the same batch. Then you have to flash the BIOS. Which is dangerous and could end up ruining both cards.

If you couldn't understand that, then you have no place attempting to do it. It's just not worth the risk.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cheers, <<< staff now woohoo.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Congrats! I've been following your posts warriorscot and I think you are a great addition to the staff! :tazz:

As with the SLi, it just about the same performance (with low resolutions). My opinion is that you should do A LOT of research before trying it, but it terms of ca$h it would be cheaper to just pick up an EXACT copy of the card you have and SLi them together.

Bottom line: They are both about the same. It's more economical to SLi, but more stable to buy one 6800GT.

Edited by UV_Power, 09 August 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Congrats warriorscot

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
why do i need to flash my bios?

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i found something http://www.pcstats.c...id=1768&page=11

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to flash the bios if they dont match the two cards have to be completely identical in every way. It can also be pretty buggy system as well. The one card solutions are always as a rule more powerful. Thanks guys.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 August 2005 - 04:55 AM.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i know very well of the brand of my graphic card and even tough if i have to update my bios, i wont have any risk for me cause i have dual bios and i also have a bios updater software for my motherboard which is 100% safe. i do not need to boot into bios mode to update my bios. i can did it in windowsxp.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You have dual bios on the video cards?

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
opps i tought u r talking about motherboard bios. u mean i have to update my graphic card bios? the firmware? can i did it by removing the original card and put the new card individualy and install the new graphic driver?

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Have a looki here http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=54716

Edited by silverblades, 14 August 2005 - 07:07 PM.