Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ME Won't Load/Safe Mode won't work

• Please log in to reply

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
hi, i hope someone can help. this is so frustrating.

I had the WMPDXM.DLL message when i tried to open explorer. I attempted to fix this and to start my computer in safe mode. When I do this is says "Keyboard Failure". It will start in safe mode but the keyboard will not work. When I tried to restart it normally it brings up the box that says "windows was improperly shut down ... checking for errors" then it brings up the box that asks for the password after I click cancel it says "cmdninst has caused an error in <unknown>. cmdninst will now shut down." And that's it. It will not bring up anything else; no icons, no taskbar, nothing!

I know it had some errors on it because it was also having the RUNDELL error message and I am sure there was a virus (or several).

What should I do at this point to begin fixing the problem? Thanks for all your help!

Advertisements

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i was able to get my keyboard to work in safe mode although the mouse is not working. I don't know what to do next. Explorer is not working because I get a "cannot find server" message.

i'm not sure how to proceed. Should i look for viruses or should i try to correct the wmpdxm.dll problem? Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

You didn't say whether you are using a PS/2 mouse or a USB one - if it is USB, then its unlikely to work in safe mode anyway.
Also, when you said 'explorer' gives you a 'cannot find server' error message, I assume you mean Internet explorer, right? In which case, thats quite normal - you won't have internet access while in safe mode because the relevant drivers etc are not loaded.

I think the best place to start is to eliminate the possibility of a malware issue causing this problem.

Can you download 'Hijack This' from the link below & run it please. It will run fine from safe mode. When you run it, select the 'system scan & save log file' option, then copy & paste the contents of the log here.

Just to warn you now, if your HJT log does indicate malware, I will probably ask you to post the log in the malware forum & let them deal with it but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Hijack This download:
http://www.majorgeek...wnload3155.html

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Samm thank you so much for your reply.

yes i am using a usb mouse. didn't know that it wouldn't work in safe mode anyway.

I am accessing this forum from my laptop. As I mentioned, the computer that is using ME will not load the desktop in normal mode, only in safe mode. Since I cannot access the internet in safe mode, how can I get the Hijack This onto the computer with ME? I would try saving it on a disk but I do not have an a drive on my laptop.

Thanks so much!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you happen to have a CD burner on the laptop (or access to one) you could dump HJT to a CD.
Next you would have to boot the desktop from a bootable floppy disk (create one using ME's emergency boot disk utility). This will load the CDROM drivers in dos mode so then you can insert your CD with HJT on & copy it over to the hard drive.
NB you won't have access to the CDROM drive in safe mode, hence the need to create a bootable disk.

There are other ways round this but this is probably the simplest