Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PS Guard help needed please! [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MC5

MC5

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Good day, my name is Mark, I am Scottish and my PC seems to have become riddled with Spyware/hijacking symptoms similar to those which others have described in other topics on these forums.

My desktop has acquired a rather funky new black background - complete with red writting informing me that 'my PC may be infected' (duh)

Any attempt to connect to IE sends me on a one way trip to pop-up city.

A programme by the name of PS Guard has installed itself and if I remove it, it then simply reappears - like Lazarus - upon boot-up.

I am not at all knowlegeable about computers, therefore I would be most grateful to receive any help offered.

My computer runs on Windows 98. I currently have AVG, Spybot S&D, Adaware and Kaspersky (ks1.0trial_securitysuiteen) installed, however I havent launched that particular programme as of yet.

The findings of my latest hi-jack this scan were as follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:15:40 AM, on 8/10/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SVCHOST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTELL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YMSGR_TRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CA87F960-E0DE-11D8-8354-44455320C050} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BFNLD.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B75F75B8-93F3-429D-FF34-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZOLKER006.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BTopenworld] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\BT YAHOO! INTERNET\DialBTYahoo.exe" /ReInstallAutoDial
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto Update] C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intell32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\intell32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - http://register.btin...bcontrol023.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...utocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab

Again, I stress that I am very much a novice!!

Can anyone please help me *bats eyelashes*

Cheers

Mark

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Mark and welcome to GTG.

OK, do you have some knowledge of using the computer at least? Do you know how to navigate through the folders to delete files? Because that's what we will ask you to do. We try to make our fixes as simple as possible for everyone to use, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask them :tazz:

Download smitRem at http://noahdfear.gee.../click.php?id=1 and save the file to your desktop.

If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, follow the download and setup instructions at http://rstones12.gee...areSE_setup.htm. Otherwise, check for updates. Don't run it yet!

Download CleanUp! http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ (Alternate Link if main link don't work - http://www.greyknigh...spy/CleanUp.exe ) and install it. Don't run it yet.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work.

CleanUp! deletes EVERYTHING out of your temp/temporary folders, it does not make backups. If you have any documents or programs that are saved in any Temporary Folders, please make a backup of these before running CleanUp!. Run CleanUp! and click on the Options button. Uncheck 'Scan local drives for temporary files'. Also uncheck those two Newsgroup entries if you don't want to delete them. Click OK and then click on the CleanUp! button. Let it run. After it's done, choose Yes to logoff.

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CA87F960-E0DE-11D8-8354-44455320C050} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BFNLD.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B75F75B8-93F3-429D-FF34-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZOLKER006.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto Update] C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intell32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\intell32.exe

Run the smitRem.exe tool you downloaded earlier. Follow the prompts on the screen. Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

Delete these files if found:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BFNLD.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZOLKER006.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe - for this file, make sure you delete it in the WINDOWS folder ONLY, don't delete it anywhere else

If you are using Windows 95/98 or Windows ME, you MUST do the following steps that are enclosed in the starting and ending double lines before proceeding any further:
========================================================================
Go to Start->Run and type in notepad and hit OK. Then copy and paste the following into Notepad:

copy c:\windows\system\wininet.dll c:\windows\desktop
del copy.bat

Save the file as "copy.bat". Make sure to save it with the quotes. Double click on it.

Reboot. Scan the desktop folder with eTrust Web Scanner at http://www3.ca.com/s...sinfo/scan.aspx. When done, make sure the box is checked for wininet.dll and click cure.

Go to Start->Run and type in notepad and hit OK. Then copy and paste the following into Notepad:

del c:\windows\system\wininet.dll
del c:\windows\system\oleadm.dll
del c:\windows\system\oleext.dll
copy c:\windows\desktop\wininet.dll c:\windows\system
del delete.bat

Save the file as "delete.bat". Make sure to save it with the quotes. Double click on it.

Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

Next go to Control Panel->Display->Desktop->Customize Desktop->Web-> Uncheck 'Security Info' if present.

Reboot back into Windows and go to http://www.pandasoft...n_principal.htm to do a full system scan. Make sure the autoclean box is checked. Save the scan log.

Then post the Panda log here along with the logs for HijackThis, and the smitfiles.txt.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi greyknight17 and thank you for taking the time to help.

I've just got a couple of questions before I follow your instructions.

The following section:

If you are using Windows 95/98 or Windows ME, you MUST do the following steps that are enclosed in the starting and ending double lines before proceeding any further:

copy c:\windows\system\wininet.dll c:\windows\desktop
del copy.bat

Save the file as "copy.bat". Make sure to save it with the quotes. Double click on it.

Reboot. Scan the desktop folder with eTrust Web Scanner at http://www3.ca.com/s...sinfo/scan.aspx. When done, make sure the box is checked for wininet.dll and click cure.

del c:\windows\system\wininet.dll
del c:\windows\system\oleadm.dll
del c:\windows\system\oleext.dll
copy c:\windows\desktop\wininet.dll c:\windows\system
del delete.bat

Save the file as "delete.bat". Make sure to save it with the quotes. Double click on it.

Do I do this part first of all before I boot-up in safe mode? Should I simply create a designated folder on my desktop for the purpose of saving these files?

Also, before finding this forum, I had already installed and ran adaware; will this affect it's usefullness?

Thank you again.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi, no problem. I'll answer these now.

Boot into Safe Mode to do this (it shouldn't matter, but I want you to follow that order so you won't miss/skip it by mistake :tazz: ). It shouldn't matter where you save it also since it will delete itself once it finishes running ;) So save it anywhere - Desktop if you wish, but it will/should delete itself when done.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Edited to remove dumb question :tazz:

Edited by MC5, 10 August 2005 - 11:55 AM.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi greynight17 and thanks for all your help!

Unfortunately, I made a couple of slight errors and my PC is currently offline, so I can't post my latest hi-jack this log.

When I boot-up, windows greets me with the following message:

"A required file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL was not found"

So I guess I inadvertantly deleted the WININET.DLL file from my SYSTEM folder, which is preventing me from using IE.

I'm at work now and one of the old computers runs off 98SE. I've copied the WININET.DLL file from that machine onto a floppy - would I be able to copy this to my system folder and rectify this problem?

I feel rather silly now.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Something is rotten in Denmark..

Okay, so I put the WININET.DLL file on a floppy disk and managed to copy it into my SYSTEM folder, which once again enables me to use Internet Explorer. The problem is that each time I restart my PC, during the boot-up sequence, I can see that the WININET.DLL file is automatically being deleted.

So again, I'm getting this message:

"A required file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL was not found"

However I can keep copying the file from my floppy into the SYSTEM folder.

The black background has gone, as has the PC guard icon. However when I ran smitRem, the log was as follows (these are the latest findings)

smitRem log file
version 2.3

by noahdfear

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

PSGuard spyware remover.lnk
quick launch PSGuard spyware remover.lnk

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system folder ~~~

oleext.dll

~~~ Icons in system folder ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~ wininet.dll ~~~~

wininet.dll Present!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

PSGuard spyware remover.lnk
quick launch PSGuard spyware remover.lnk

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system folder ~~~

oleext.dll

~~~ Icons in system folder ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~ wininet.dll ~~~~

wininet.dll Clean!! :)

I was able to execute the "copy.bat" programme; then when I went onto etrust it didn't give me the option to scan my desktop only, so I scanned MY COMPUTER and deleted everything which was infected. This is how the WININET.DLL debacle came to pass. I need to be less impulsive in future when dealing with things I know little about ;)

My latest etrust scan resluts were:

Scan Results: 7608 files scanned. 1 virus was detected.

File Infection Status Path
oleext.dll Win32.Alemod.I infected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

The "delete.bat" programme failed. I couldn't copy the DOS text but it said that "access denied"

The panda scan froze near the very end, which was frustrating since I'm on dial-up and it took nearly 2 hours to download and run :tazz:

Finally, before posting here I ran Hijackthis, my latest results are as follows:

Scan saved at 11:07:17 PM, on 8/12/05

Running processes:

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BTopenworld] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\BT YAHOO! INTERNET\DialBTYahoo.exe" /ReInstallAutoDial
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - http://register.btin...bcontrol023.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...utocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/s...nfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab

All obvious symptoms of PS Guard are gone from my desktop, although it's clearly still embedded somewhere.

If you could offer any suggesttions as to how I can extricate myself from this mess, I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your time and effort :cheers:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Not good...:tazz:

Wasn't there an option to Cure or Heal that wininet.dll file? That file is required to use IE to go online.

OK, do this:

Go to Start->Run and type in sfc and hit OK. Run the full scan. Let it scan. If it finds any files missing/corrupted, it may ask for the Windows CD.

See if that will recover your wininet.dll file. Now boot into Safe Mode and run smitRem.exe again. Save the log. Restart and post that log here. Try running Panda again....if it still fails, we'll have to use other methods to make sure it's not there anymore.

If you want, check Ad-aware and Spybot for any updates. Then boot into Safe Mode and run them. Fix what they find and restart to normal mode.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there Greynight17 and thank you for your help once more.

My latest hijack this log:

Scan saved at 11:24:52 PM, on 8/17/05

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE

O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/s...nfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab

I also ran Spybot Search and Destroy - which is coming up clean at the moment.

The Panda Scan froze again at exactly the same point - my F Drive (CD Burner) which is quite near the end, by which stage it had identified a dialer and two Spyware items. Frustratingly, I can't see what these are because it freezes.. argh!

The WININET.DLL error message is still greeting me upon each boot-up. During the sequence while windows is loading, I can see it being deleted from the System folder. Each time I copy it there, Internet Explorer runs fine - but it keeps being deleted.

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I performed the search you suggested for the WINNINET.DLL file - no joy there, I'm afraid.

Here is my fresh Adaware log:

Ad-Aware SE Settings
===========================
Set : Search for negligible risk entries
Set : Safe mode (always request confirmation)
Set : Scan active processes
Set : Scan registry
Set : Deep-scan registry
Set : Scan my IE Favorites for banned URLs
Set : Scan within archives
Set : Scan my Hosts file

Extended Ad-Aware SE Settings
===========================
Set : Unload recognized processes & modules during scan
Set : Obtain command line of scanned processes
Set : Scan registry for all users instead of current user only
Set : Always try to unload modules before deletion
Set : Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
Set : Delete quarantined objects after restoring
Set : Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc.)
Set : Include basic Ad-Aware settings in log file
Set : Include additional Ad-Aware settings in log file
Set : Include reference summary in log file
Set : Include alternate data stream details in log file
Set : Play sound at scan completion if scan locates critical objects

8-17-05 11:50:12 PM - Scan started. (Custom mode)

Listing running processes
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

#:1 [KERNEL32.DLL]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
Command Line : n/a
ProcessID : 4293888517
Threads : 4
Priority : High
FileVersion : 4.10.2222
ProductVersion : 4.10.2222
ProductName : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
CompanyName : Microsoft Corporation
FileDescription : Win32 Kernel core component
InternalName : KERNEL32
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1991-1999
OriginalFilename : KERNEL32.DLL

#:2 [MSGSRV32.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
ProcessID : 4294966941
Threads : 1
Priority : Normal
FileDescription : Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server
InternalName : MSGSRV32
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1992-1998
OriginalFilename : MSGSRV32.EXE

#:3 [MPREXE.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
Command Line : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
ProcessID : 4294953325
Threads : 2
FileVersion : 4.10.1998
ProductVersion : 4.10.1998
FileDescription : WIN32 Network Interface Service Process
InternalName : MPREXE
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1993-1998
OriginalFilename : MPREXE.EXE

#:4 [mmtask.tsk]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
ProcessID : 4294958117
FileVersion : 4.03.1998
ProductVersion : 4.03.1998
ProductName : Microsoft Windows
FileDescription : Multimedia background task support module
InternalName : mmtask.tsk
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1991-1998
OriginalFilename : mmtask.tsk

#:5 [MSTASK.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
Command Line : mstask.exe
ProcessID : 4294867153
FileVersion : 4.71.1972.1
ProductVersion : 4.71.1972.1
ProductName : Microsoft® Windows® Task Scheduler
FileDescription : Task Scheduler Engine
InternalName : TaskScheduler
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 2000
OriginalFilename : mstask.exe

#:6 [EXPLORER.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
Command Line : C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
ProcessID : 4294852865
Threads : 14
FileVersion : 4.72.3110.1
ProductVersion : 4.72.3110.1
ProductName : Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System
FileDescription : Windows Explorer
InternalName : explorer
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1981-1997
OriginalFilename : EXPLORER.EXE

#:7 [TASKMON.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
Command Line : "C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe"
ProcessID : 4294873997
FileVersion : 4.10.1998
ProductVersion : 4.10.1998
FileDescription : Task Monitor
InternalName : TaskMon
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1998
OriginalFilename : TASKMON.EXE

#:8 [SYSTRAY.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
Command Line : "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SysTray.Exe"
ProcessID : 4294786305
FileDescription : System Tray Applet
InternalName : SYSTRAY
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1993-1998
OriginalFilename : SYSTRAY.EXE

#:9 [AVGCC.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
Command Line : "C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE" /STARTUP
ProcessID : 4294788073
Threads : 5
FileVersion : 7,1,0,338
ProductVersion : 7.1.0.338
ProductName : AVG Anti-Virus System
CompanyName : GRISOFT, s.r.o.
FileDescription : AVG Control Center
InternalName : AvgCC
LegalCopyright : Copyright © 2005, GRISOFT, s.r.o.
OriginalFilename : AvgCC.EXE

#:10 [AVGEMC.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
Command Line : "C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE"
ProcessID : 4294809229
Threads : 6
FileVersion : 7,1,0,338
ProductVersion : 7.1.0.338
FileDescription : AVG E-Mail Scanner
InternalName : avgemc
OriginalFilename : avgemc.exe

#:11 [AVGAMSVR.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
Command Line : "C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE"
ProcessID : 4294799653
Threads : 4
FileVersion : 7,1,0,321
ProductVersion : 7.1.0.321
FileDescription : AVG Alert Manager
InternalName : avgamsvr
OriginalFilename : avgamsvr.EXE

#:12 [WZQKPICK.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
Command Line : "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE"
ProcessID : 4294885377
FileVersion : 1.0 (32-bit)
ProductVersion : 8.1 (4319)
ProductName : WinZip
CompanyName : WinZip Computing, Inc.
FileDescription : WinZip Executable
InternalName : WZQKPICK.EXE
LegalCopyright : Copyright © WinZip Computing, Inc. 1991-2001 - All Rights Reserved
LegalTrademarks : WinZip is a registered trademark of WinZip Computing, Inc
OriginalFilename : WZQKPICK.EXE
Comments : StringFileInfo: U.S. English

#:13 [DDHELP.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
Command Line : ddhelp.exe
ProcessID : 4294570785
Priority : Realtime
FileVersion : 4.07.00.0700
ProductVersion : 4.07.00.0700
ProductName : Microsoft® DirectX for Windows® 95 and 98
FileDescription : Microsoft DirectX Helper
InternalName : DDHelp.exe
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1994-1999
OriginalFilename : DDHelp.exe

#:14 [RNAAPP.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
Command Line : rnaapp.exe -l
ProcessID : 4294500601
FileDescription : Dial-Up Networking Application
InternalName : RNAAPP
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1992-1996
OriginalFilename : RNAAPP.EXE

#:15 [TAPISRV.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
Command Line : tapisrv.exe
ProcessID : 4294675449
Threads : 5
FileDescription : Microsoft® Windows™ Telephony Server
InternalName : Telephony Service
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1994-1998
OriginalFilename : TAPISRV.EXE

#:16 [PSTORES.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
Command Line : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
ProcessID : 4294339097
Threads : 3
FileVersion : 5.00.1877.3
ProductVersion : 5.00.1877.3
ProductName : Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System
FileDescription : Protected storage server
InternalName : Protected storage server
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1981-1998
OriginalFilename : Protected storage server

#:17 [AD-AWARE.EXE]
ModuleName : C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT\AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL\AD-AWARE.EXE
Command Line : "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe"
ProcessID : 4294355245
FileVersion : 6.2.0.236
ProductVersion : SE 106
ProductName : Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE
CompanyName : Lavasoft Sweden
FileDescription : Ad-Aware SE Core application
InternalName : Ad-Aware.exe
LegalCopyright : Copyright © Lavasoft AB Sweden
OriginalFilename : Ad-Aware.exe
Comments : All Rights Reserved

Memory scan result:
New critical objects: 0
Objects found so far: 0

Started registry scan

Registry Scan result:

Started deep registry scan

Deep registry scan result:

MRU List Object Recognized!
Location: : software\microsoft\directdraw\mostrecentapplication
Description : most recent application to use microsoft directdraw

Location: : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\internet explorer\typedurls
Description : list of recently entered addresses in microsoft internet explorer

Location: : .DEFAULT\software\nico mak computing\winzip\filemenu
Description : winzip recently used archives

Location: : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\windows media\wmsdk\general
Description : windows media sdk

Started Tracking Cookie scan

Tracking Cookie Object Recognized!
Type : IECache Entry
Data : mark halbert@mediaplex[1].txt
TAC Rating : 3
Category : Data Miner
Comment : Hits:1
Value : Cookie:mark halbert@mediaplex.com/
Expires : 6-22-09 1:00:00 AM
LastSync : Hits:1
UseCount : 0
Hits : 1

Tracking Cookie Object Recognized!
Type : IECache Entry
Data : mark halbert@atdmt[1].txt
TAC Rating : 3
Category : Data Miner
Comment : Hits:1
Value : Cookie:mark halbert@atdmt.com/
Expires : 8-16-10 1:00:00 AM
LastSync : Hits:1
UseCount : 0
Hits : 1

Tracking cookie scan result:
New critical objects: 2
Objects found so far: 6

Deep scanning and examining files (C:)

Disk Scan Result for C:\

Deep scanning and examining files (D:)

Disk Scan Result for D:\

Disk Scan Result for D:\msn\

Disk Scan Result for D:\My Music\

Disk Scan Result for D:\New Folder\

Disk Scan Result for D:\photos2\

Disk Scan Result for D:\Program Files\

Disk Scan Result for D:\RECYCLED\

Performing conditional scans...

Conditional scan result:

11:54:54 PM Scan Complete

Summary Of This Scan
Total scanning time:00:04:42.150
Objects scanned:41912
Objects identified:2
Objects ignored:0
New critical objects:2

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did you run SFC yet? Did it find anything?

Do you have a CD in your F: Drive now? If so, take it out.

How do you know that wininet.dll file is being deleted from the system folder? You said that you can "see if being deleted...".

MC5

MC5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi greynight17

I tried running the Pandascan again, another three times - making sure that my E and F drives were empty, but it still froze once it reached the F drive.

As for the WININET.DLL situation..

When my computer is booting-up, after AVG has finished running it's initial scan and before the Windows 98 graphic appears; this text appears on a black screen:

C:\ attrib s - h - r- c C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL

C:\ Del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL

(I tried to jot this down as quickly as possible - so I may have got a character or two wrong)

The WINNINET.DLL file now resides on my desktop. I'm using my own PC to post this and it works fine because I've copied the file into my system folder but for some reason it's not staying there when I close down and start-up again.

For some reason the file is now on my desktop - I never copied it there.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That shouldn't have happened. The only reason I could think of is the first delete.bat I asked you to create. But it doesn't seem right since the one I asked you to create earlier were deleting other files also and it shouldn't be running automatically at startup.

See if this fixes the problem:
Copy that wininet.dll file from your desktop back to your system folder. Go to http://www3.ca.com/s...sinfo/scan.aspx and check the box to scan the system folder only. Cure that wininet.dll file if you can.

If that doesn't work, then I guess we can try this:

OK, run HijackThis and go to Config->Misc. Tools->Check those two boxes on top. Then hit Generate Startup List. Post that log here.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.