Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning the startup list.

• Please log in to reply

xomikronx

xomikronx

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, Can someone help me to clean up the list of startups in the Msconfig (System Configuration Ultility) screen. It's under the Startup tab. I'm trying to just delete the obsolete ones from that list, but I don't know where I would have to go to delete some of it. Thanks.

Advertisements

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Not exactly sure what you mean - but this is a list of items in the Startup that you can see to make sure what you're removing is safe to remove.

http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

xomikronx

xomikronx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well...you know when you go in MSCONFIG? In the STARTUP tab, you can check and uncheck the boxes to disable or enable whatever you want. I'm sure it is in the registry somewhere, but I would like for some of those things to not be on the list at all. Hope that helps.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you simply uncheck the list items, they won't start up. You don't even have to go into the registry to mess with them.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a way to get rid of them, but make sure you only do it to things you know you will NEVER need.

www.ccleaner.com

install it, and go to "Tools", then "Uninstall". Then click on whatever, and delete entry. It'll be gone from registry.

NOTE: It has to be enabled before you can delete entry. So enable all in MSConfig - but don't restart. Go do the thing in CCleaner and delete only the ones you're SURE of deleting. Once that's done - go back to MSConfig and reset it to the way it was - restart computer and there you go.