Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn, oddly-named File Resists Deletion...

• Please log in to reply

dakotaaviator

dakotaaviator

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,

I'm a new guy here so please bear with me.

Sorry in advance for the book but I figured it was better to put up everything I've tried so people wouldn't waste their time suggesting things I've already tried.

I've also made posts over at http://help.lockergn...showtopic=30873
and
http://www.theelderg...showtopic=12306

The file name I'm dealing with is BE_1_|1.gif and its a true pain in the ***.

I can not delete it even after trying many methods including those suggested at http://www.theelderg...etable_file.htm,
and the programs:
WhoLockMe,
ForceDel,
KillBox,
HiJackthis,
DrDelete,
MoveOn,
SureDelete,
also:
booting up in safe mode - then attempting deletion,
clearing the MRUD's - then attempting deletion,
...and also by using the CMD prompt (DOS Prompt) and trying "del" and "rd" etc....

I should mention that I first tried to use the standard deletion methods such as "delete" key, right-click "delete", dragging to the Recycle bin, etc....

Posted Image

Depending on how I try to delete this file, it either gives me a "file/path not recognized", "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk" or "File does not seem to exist" error. (See screenshots below.)

I took some more screenshots to show whats going on.

They can be found at photobucket.com/albums/b197/dakotaav8r_01/

FWIW:
- I have run "check disk" and "defrag" a few times recently, if this matters,
- This file has been lurking around for quite some time and never triggers any AV programs, AdAware or Spybot, etc...,
- Attempts to rename do not work,
- Attempts to delete with AbsoluteShield File Shredder do not work either.

The "|" in the file name seems to have something to do with it but I'm not a techie so I have no idea for certain.

Also take a look at these screenshots...

FIRST:
Posted Image

Here notice how that at the end of the DOS window after attempting to delete the file its "reply" is this:

'1.gif' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

To me that seems kind of odd.

Why does it say '1.gif' when the file name is BE_1_|1.gif ??

Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?

It seems like that "upright" or what ever you call this "|" thing... is causing some kind of problem.

FYI, this file originally was in a folder that I copied from IE's temporary internet files. I copied that folder from the temporary internet folder to the desktop, looked thru it, kept what I needed to and was able to delete everything else.

I can rename the folder that BE_1_|1.gif resided in but I can not move either the folder or the actual file now.

I also can not rename BE_1_|1.gif either with the right click or by using Irfanviews batch editor.

and these...

Posted Image
Posted Image

It seems odd that KillBox first could not find the file then could not delete it.

It seems like the "upright" in the name of BE_1_|1.gif is causing the programs or delete command to not be able to find the file for some reason.

I'm firmly convinced that it directly tied to the "|" in the filename BE_1_|1.gif and it has to do with either how DOS and/or NTSF handles files and the naming issues or with how Windows XP handles files/filenames.

The "|" seems to confuse programs and scripts (or whatever) and they either can not find the file or call it an "invalid file name"... which makes me ask... how in the h*ll did it get that file name in the first place???

. . .

The only suggestion I have yet to try are Roxanne's suggestions regarding BartPE and Knoppix.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm completely stumped on this.

~DA

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

dakotaaviator

dakotaaviator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Kat,

Thanks for the point out to the malware forum. :tazz:

I regularly clean up my computer with many of the programs and methods listed in the Malware forum and at "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log."

The problem with this file is not that it is malware (its not) but the problem lies with its name. ;)

BE_1_|1.gif

Posted Image

The "|" in BE_1_|1.gif violates the NTFS naming convention "|" is not "allowed".

This seem relevant to the problems I've been having with that file:

http://www.geocities.../nt_core05.html

NTFS naming conventions: 
File and folder names can be up to 255 characters, including extensions.
Filenames are case-preserving, but not case sensitive.
Note: NTFS allows two filenames to coexist that differ only in case!
There is an exception: a file name IS case-sensitive when it is used on a POSIX application.
Names may not contain: ? " / \ < > * | :   (9 characters)

FWIW, File Allocation Table (FAT) File System does not allow the "|" in filenames either...

Microsoft says the same thing at: http://support.micro.....5BLN];Q100108

(So... How in the heck did it get there?? I don't know.)

~DA

Edited by dakotaaviator, 09 August 2005 - 07:30 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I love puzzles! So far I've found that the file system can't see anything before the | so you could try removing that part of the filename. BTW I was unable to give a file that name so I can't duplicate your problem. To get back to the issue at hand, then the file system should see the file as simply 1.gif, without the bar and you may be able to locate it in the file system that way.

If the file is being used by an app you will need to close it with Task Manager to make any changes.

I don't know if that folder is used by any app but if it isn't you could remove as much of it's contents as possible and make it hidden, or just hide the file in question.

Many of these things you may already know or have tried.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you tried to rename the file then delete it?

Sometimes that works

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi Dako.
Your problem seems so intense that you might even take a suggestion from a girl. :tazz:

I did a little research and came up with something that sounded like it was worth a try to me! :)

I have fun posting 'solutions' that I would not have a clue of how to do myself, but I know YOU would understand.
Have you already tried everything suggested in this below message?
Janie

;)

re: can't delete GIF image file
Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 4:14 pm
Posted by jaime (1 messages posted)

I've had similar problems with files and folders. Reading here and there I managed to find an almost flawless way to handling your files... First, you must make sure you're logged as Administrator; this will allow you to make any change you need. Second, you must know how to use the command prompt. Open it and get to the file USING THE MSDOS short names of folders. In order to do so, dir /x and write down the folder you need as you progress... Once you are in the folder dir /x /a This will show ALL THE FILES (even hidden and system files) and their short names. Delete what you want by: del (name of file, remember, SHORT NAME!!) rmdir (short name of dir, dir should be empty...) In case you have problems with hidden or system file, remove those attributes... attrib -s -h -r (name of file) and now try to del it Of course, there can be lots of problems, the solution is in using short names and making sure the file attributes don't interfere with your actions.

Edited by fflowergirl, 09 August 2005 - 09:36 PM.

dakotaaviator

dakotaaviator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tony_1983:
Not able to rename the file, in any combination of with or without the "|".

Tyger:
Ditto to your suggestions.

Your suggestion to set it as hidden seems the best yet. It will be invisible till I get rid of this laptop and format the drive when I get a new one. (6-8 months)

Fflowergirl:
I'm far more interested in your abilities than your gender..
Well at least as far as it goes for this problem. ;)
Send me your photo in an email and tell me a bit about yourself and I'll let you know if I'm interested outside of this problem. :tazz:
((KIDDING!!)

Seriously, I take advice from anyone who seems like they've got a good mind and a decent grasp of the problem.

Your suggestion has merit and is one of the more original that I've seen.

I'm going to take a crack at it and let you all know.

~DA

=================================================

Ok Fflowergirl, I tried what you suggested... and came up with this result...
Posted Image

I "think" I did it the way you did.

If the file name is 8 characters (or so) or less... will you even see short names in the DOS cmd?

Doesn't appear so....

Here is one after I inserted a really long file in that folder to see if it would truncate the filename.

Posted Image

Sure enough it appears to truncate it down to just "Really~1.jpg".

It appears that BE_1_|1.gif is too short for the system to truncate it.

~DA

Edited by dakotaaviator, 09 August 2005 - 10:16 PM.

AffirmationChick

AffirmationChick

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
"I can rename the folder that BE_1_|1.gif resided in but I can not move either the folder or the actual file now."

I know you said that, and it likely won't work... but the last file that I couldn't delete for love or money, I ended up moving everything else out of the folder and then deleting the whole folder. It actually worked, and I was ready to break something over how simple the solution was. lol I assume one of the "move" attempts was a delete, but it's worth mentioning just in case. Good luck!!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

"I can rename the folder that BE_1_|1.gif resided in but I can not move either the folder or the actual file now."

I know you said that, and it likely won't work... but the last file that I couldn't delete for love or money, I ended up moving everything else out of the folder and then deleting the whole folder. It actually worked, and I was ready to break something over how simple the solution was. lol I assume one of the "move" attempts was a delete, but it's worth mentioning just in case. Good luck!!

View Post

Yep, I've done that too, but they were files that were being "used" by something, but anything's worth a try here.

dakotaaviator

dakotaaviator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

View Post

Posted Image

FWIW: I can rename and move the folder that BE_1_|1.gif resides in but I can not move either the folder or the actual file anywhere outside of the "C" drive.

Thanks,
~DA

Advertisements

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Is this win xp?? have you tried changing the veiw of your files, to classic veiw, so you have a folder that you can either delete or drag and drop into the recycle bin.

HTH woody

dakotaaviator

dakotaaviator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Is this win xp?? have you tried changing the veiw of your files, to classic veiw, so you have a folder that you can either delete or drag and drop into the recycle bin.
HTH woody

View Post

That has no effect Woody.

- - - -

Since there is no apparent solution and I've invested far to much time into killing a file that is non-hostile and is only 4kb I've decided to take a different approach.

I'm going to just set the directory's attributes to "hidden" and forget about it.

I'll be formatting this harddrive in 6-8 months when I sell this laptop (after buying a new one).

Thanks for the help all.

If anyone does come up with a good solution to this feel free to post it as I'm curious and someone else might need the info.

Regards,

~DA :tazz:

SlipKnoT91

SlipKnoT91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OK im not sure if this will work, but its worth a try. Its a long process, so bear with me.
If the problem is with the "|" character, thats just because windows does not support that character in file names. So maybe you should try loading linux from a live CD. To do this, you will first need to download the ISO image from http://mymirrors.hom...sam/sam-1.1.iso
Assuming you have a CD burner, save this file directly to and unformatted blank CD. This may take quite a while, so be patient. After the download is finished, turn your computer off. Then turn it back on, and when it is loading, enter setup (For most systems you either press F12 or Delete to do this) and change the boot sequence. Have
your computer boot from Drive D:\ (Or whatever drive your CD drive is) first. Then save changes and exit setup. Linux should load and give you a boot screen. At this screen, type "livecd keyb=us". Then it should finish loading and give you a login screen. Type "root" for the username and press enter, then type "root" for the password and press enter again. After it's done loading, you should get a desktop. Drag the cursor to the bottom of your screen, and a toolbar should appear. Click on "GNOME Commander" and you should get a program similar to Windows Explorer. Then
go to the "/mnt/win_c" directory (If my memory serves me correct, that's the right directory, if not, it's definately something in "/mnt"). Once you are in "win_c" or whatever it is, the folders and files on your C:\ Drive should appear. Then just find the annoying file that you can't delete, and right click on it and click delete. Since it's linux, it should recognize the "|" thing. Then turn your computer off and on again, and change the boot sequence back to normal (booting from drive C:\ first). That should work, so good luck.

SlipKnoT91

SlipKnoT91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh and BTW Dakota, you shouldn't give up on something so easily, especially when a file is pissing you off.

SlipKnoT91

SlipKnoT91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, one more thing. With that link for the ISO file, make sure you click on it instead of right clicking and doing "Save Link As", otherwise it will save it as a text file (Which would kind of screw you over).