Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell laptop DVD player background noise

• Please log in to reply

mngllilly

mngllilly

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi! I have a 2 year old dell inspiron 8500. Lately, when I play dvd's in the dvd/cdrw drive, there's a weird grating noise - a cross between grating and a loud mosquito. It's not a physical noise because when I mute it, the noise stops. It's connected to the sound somehow. Could it be caused by the spinning disc? It only appears when I use the DVD player. Oddly, it doesn't happen when I use it to listen to CD's (i think). I've made sure that the computer is placed on a stable flat surface but it still won't go away.
What kind of probelm is this and could I fix it? I would call Dell but the warranty has long since expired.

I appreciate any help! Thanks

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
umm tough call, i have the same laptop which is also 2 years old. And the cd spinning does cause a wierd noise with the speakers, i think its just poor design. Ohh if i push up on the cd rom drive it stops, i normally getto rig something to press agaisnt it if i am watching dvds